1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yasmin is the best contraceptive pill for acne

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by lila, Mar 19, 2017.

1. lila

lila Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, just wanted to share my happiness with you all. I am using Yasmin birth control pills since the last 6 months and it has cleared my face completely! I have had acne for as long as I remember – with a minimum of 20 years history at least. I am 30 years old now and my skin has never felt better than it does right now. Till I started Yasmin, my skin and acne was getting progressively worse each year and I was so sure that there is no respite for me. I had painful cysts all over my jawline and my neck and the number of blackheads, whiteheads and pimples is just beyond counting. All of this started as soon as I hit puberty and then continued till my youth. Needless to say, I have never been very confident about my looks. But one of the worst hits for me was when a co-worker took a dig by making me her coffee time gossip. I overheard her gigging to a group of others and telling how all this oil on my face had to be a gift from some rich Arab whom I must be bedding. I cried myself to sleep that night.

So sometime in October last year, my gynaecologist suggested that I try Yasmin birth control pills. Since I have tried every damn cream, pill and solution on the face of the earth, this was basically kind of a last measure for me. I have even been prescribed Ortho Tri-cyclen and it didn’t do a thing for me. So it was either Yasmin works or I have to move on to Accutane – something that I wasn’t willing to do. And can I say I am happy! Within 3 months of application, Yasmin started showing effects and by January my skin was so smooth and soft. I am acne free now and the few dark marks that are left over from my previous cysts are fast fading too. I actually don’t even remember when was the last time my skin felt this good. I think maybe grade 4 lol!

To the ladies out there who are about to give up hope – don’t! Try Yasmin. And to those trying Yasmin and thinking it doesn’t work – hang on. It does work. Give it a few months.

2. crackerjack

crackerjack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Umm… aren’t birth control pills supposed to be only for females?

3. Roland

Roland Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations! This is amazing news. I and my wife have been trying to convince our 19 year old daughter to shift from Ortho Lo to Yasmin. She uses Taz and is on a few antibiotics which I would like her to be off. I have a feeling that once she starts Yasmin, it will be enough for her to help her get off the antibiotics.

The issue here is that she is in college and the Ortho Lo is cheap. Also, the doctor there gives them a few months of supplies with Ortho Lo, but refuses to do that with Yasmin. Which is weird if you ask me, because if it helps, it is worth the money.

4. lampoon

lampoon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    That is great news Lila. I have a question though. When you started using Yasmin, like in the initial weeks, did you have more breakouts? Asking for my wife because I see she is having a lot of breakouts since she started using Yasmin a week ago.

5. Elsa

Elsa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yasmin works like a charm for me too. I have been using it for 7 months and the best thing is that it hasn’t caused weight gain for me as the other pills have. And my skin is so soft and smooth. Just as it used to be in the pre acne days. I love how it has worked for me and I keep posting about it on the boards. In fact, I will recommend it to anyone who thinks that they might have hormonal acne. Initially I used to take the whole pack straight, but I have stopped doing that now. And now even though I get my periods, I don’t get any acne. Isn’t that fun?

Lampoon, I did breakout a lot, but not immediately. In my case, I had breakouts for the whole of the 2nd month. But when I noticed carefully, they were all whiteheads. I never got any new pimples and after a while (somewhere during the mid of the 3rd month) they started going away and my scars started fading too. It has been a positive experience for me in general.

6. lila

lila Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah dude, birth control pills are pretty much just for women. Though there are pills out there whose anti-androgen properties will work very well for curing acne; I doubt if the men will appreciate the estrogen laden side effects of it. However, I have heard good things about Propecia. It’s a pill to cure male pattern baldness and it is said to have anti-androgen properties too, albeit mild. I have heard that sometimes men are prescribed that to combat acne. Have you tried it out?

Roland, I will surely ask you to encourage your daughter to shift to Yasmin. But from what I understand, the Ortho Lo isn’t usually used to treat acne, the Ortho Tricyclen (regular) is. Since the Ortho Lo has a lower concentration of female hormones, it cannot quash the androgens as well as the Yasmin can. Or at least this is what my gynac explained to me. I was using the Tazorac cream just like your daughter, but within 40-45 days of starting Yasmin, I was able to discontinue its use.

Lampoon, I don’t not remember having any initial; breakout. But then again, when I started Yasmin, my skin was sooo bad that even if a few pimples would have broken out I would not have noticed the change immediately! However, I do remember feeling very discouraged because I wanted quick results and I wasn’t getting any. But my doctor asked me to be patient and give it some time. I think it was around the 3rd month that I noticed that there had been no new cysts. By the 4th month, the pimples seemed to be getting smaller in size too. Around the same time, I noticed that the old cysts were healing nicely. And within a few days, new pimples stopped coming too. I am still waiting for the marks on my face to go away, but the good thing is that they are fading. I can see a remarked difference from when I started Yasmin.

7. lila

lila Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, just to make it clear – my skin, which looked like an oil field within an hour of washing and scrubbing it rigorously, now looks and feels so normal and smooth. For the first time in my life I can respond to a complexion question with ‘normal’ instead of the ‘oily’ that I have been saying since the past so many years. In fact, I did a not so nice thing a few days ago. Remember my co-worker? She asked me why I looked so fresh nowadays and what the secret of getting rid of the oil was. I told her that I took her advice and got rid of my Arab bed partner. Hence, he took all the oil away! Not nice I know, but I just needed to give this comeback to her :D

8. tinatina

tinatina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Burn! Well, your co-worker had it a long time coming. Serves her right! My friend uses Yasmin and absolutely swears by it. She gets her periods for only one day a month and I am so J of her for that. Maybe we should all start using Yasmin.

9. Roland

Roland Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am forwarding this to my daughter. Hopefully this shall convince her. That, and the fact that I am the one who is paying for all of this.

10. lila

lila Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I have noticed that Yasmin is expensive compared to the other acne drugs in the market. I believe part of this could be because it is a relatively new drug and cheap generics are not yet available. Also, I feel that if with Yasmin your skin improves and you are able to discontinue the use of the host of other drugs and creams that you may have been using, then it ends up being the cheaper option in the long run.

The package of Yasmin clearly states that the drug might raise potassium levels, so it is not ideal for people with kidney, liver, or adrenal issues. I did get my potassium levels checked twice after starting Yasmin, but they came back fine both times. I am just stating this here because I feel I should put this information out there so before starting Yasmin, you could talk to your doctor about it. Also, I have noticed that I pee a lot more since I started Yasmin, but I haven’t had any complications, so I am not complaining.

11. Roland

Roland Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you are urinating more since starting it because of the Spiro present in the Yasmin. I remember reading somewhere that Yasmin has Spiro or some Spiro like substance.

12. grace

grace Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately for me, Yasmin hasn’t worked that great. I have had acne all my life but it has mostly been the usual acne – a pimple here and a blackhead there. It has never been anything big. When I started Yasmin, I only got a few spots and all throughout when I was on the drug, my skin was spotless and clear. But once the time came for me to go off time, I started getting huge breakouts. Face, neck, jawline, and even my chest and back. I had painful cysts and huge pimples. My skin became so horrible that I am now shamed to go out without a heavy dose of makeup. I hate looking at myself in the mirror.

13. ticklish

ticklish Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using Yasmin since the last 3 weeks. I haven’t really noticed any changes in terms of my acne (neither increase nor decrease), but my body feels great. I have a question though about the white inactive pills. Why are we supposed to take them if we can move on to the next pack of active pills directly? I am a little confused about this. Is this okay to take? I mean why are they there at all? However, I am willing to do the drill if it means regularised body hormones and the best part, limited or even no periods. That is a gift worth looking forward to lol! :ROFLMAO:

14. AishA

AishA Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yasmin has been working great for me too. I was on another birth control pill since the last 3 years and just stopped it a few months ago because I had started getting annoying side effects. I had planned to be off birth control pills for a few months, even a year if possible. But then I started breaking out so badly! My face kinda exploded with acne and I ended up having a panic attack.

So grateful to my gynaecologist who suggested Yasmin for me. I did try a drug or two in between before finally starting Yasmin, but to my utter horror, they made my acne worse. I got cystic acne with them and broke out even on my shoulders! Also my hair and my skin became way oilier. It was an utter mess. I am happy now that Yasmin is my acne controller. I have used it for only 2 weeks now, but you can see that there is a difference. Yes, there are still a ton of blemishes and marks on my skin, but I can see that they are healing. And that is the important bit. Also, with Yasmin I am not experiencing any of the side effects that I was earlier experiencing with my other birth control pills. So you ladies out there, if you experience mood swings, migraines, numbness, or anything else because of your BC pill, chuck it out today. Yasmin will not give you any of those. In fact, it is the perfect one stop solution for people like me who have oily and acne prone skin.

Hope this helps at least someone out there.