1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diabetes weetabix nutritional information- How many calories does it have?

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by Jaques, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Jaques

Jaques Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a serious confusion which I hope can be sorted out with your help. I checked my blood sugar level yesterday and it was 7.3. I love to have Weetabix with skimmed milk as my breakfast and I had it today as well (2 of them). I checked my blood glucose level post breakfast and it was 8.7. I would like to add that I had Weetabix plain, with out added sugar, honey or any other sweeteners. I felt it would give me good results but I guess I was wrong. Also, I had left a huge time gap between my bf and the test, but still the results were on the higher end. I am very health conscious and I watch my diet a lot. Still I am unable to get the required results. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Should I stop having Weetabix?

2. junkie

junkie Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I am no expert on this. But I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and I keeping a close eye on GI of all the carbs that I consume. And I feel sorry to inform you that your favourite bf Weetabix falls into the high GI category and I feel it would be better for your health if you avoid it completely. If you can’t do that, then why don’t try taking just 1 Weetabix and see if you get desired results. Good luck.

3. nash

nash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry to second ... in this case because you are absolutely right with the info. I don’t see any stark difference between different breakfast cereals that can be bought off shelves. Whenever you choose a product and you intend to keep your blood glucose level normal, then you should first check for the nutritional information given behind the pack. And I must say it is pretty much the same (approx. 70g carb per 100g), which is very high and in turn shoots up your blood glucose level. You should see how fast a food item can increase you BG levels rather than thinking of by “how much” it can. Hope this helps!Try and find better alternatives.

4. madden

madden Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Could you please elaborate more on GI levels? I do not have a clear cut idea about them. Hope you can give me some more info. Thanks in advance.

5. barry41

barry41 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    GI can be expanded as glycaemic index. It is a number related with carbs in a particular food type, which in turn indicates the effects of these carbs on an individual’s blood glucose level. In simple terms it means how fast carbs in your food breaks down and converts to glucose in the blood. This breaking down effects how fast your glucose levels in the blood spikes and in turn affects your BG results. I wouldn’t say all bran is bad. You can choose the ones which have complex carbs i.e. the carbs that break down slowly and do not spike your blood glucose levels fast.

6. junior19

junior19 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I too used to and still love my Weetabix plastered in sugar. I tried it once by replacing sugar with canderel after I was diagnosed as diabetic, thinking the replacement would make all the difference. But when I did the test, my eyes popped out seeing its results. It was too high!!! I have kept myself away from Weetabix ever since; not just Weetabix, all other bf cereals as well because they are all high GIs. I think you should quit too.

7. shradha

shradha PR Founder

Ratings:
    +53
    I am a fitness freak and foodie at the same time. In the mornings, I usually crave for Weetabix because it is my idea of a perfect breakfast. But I restrict myself and have one Weetabix covered in cinnamon. I do test my BG levels regularly, although I am not a diabetic and I have found that it does not spike up your sugar levels too much. Is that because I am not diabetic or is it because of my exercise or is the cinnamon helping in my case? Not sure of what to think.

8. Jaques

Jaques Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wowww!!! Now this is a lot of information I did not know prior. Thanks a ton for it. Now quitting Weetabix is difficult, but I think I will have to do it for the sake of my health. I have planned to cut down my Weetabix to 1 before I find any better alternative. I feel so bad that I can’t eat any of the cereals. I love cereals to an extent that I can even have it without milk. I am also planning to go on a GI diet so that I can keep my diabetes under control. Hope it helps!!! I do not want to be taking more meds.

9. Andrea123

Andrea123 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Breakfast cereals, potatoes, rice, cakes, breads and biscuits are a few products that diabetics should strictly avoid. Read the labels and the nutritional information carefully before buying any product. If still in doubt, check with your doctor if it is good for your blood glucose or not. Rolled oats are still a better option. I don’t know why people have breakfast cereals. It actually doesn’t do any good to you. It spikes you BG levels in the morning, provides you with instant energy but makes you feel sluggish later on. Not just the diabetics, I would not suggest breakfast cereal to any one not even the kids.

10. shradha

shradha PR Founder

Ratings:
    +53
    Try having eggs for breakfast. They are a good thing to start the day with. I sometimes have scrambled eggs or omelette with mushrooms and spring onions. It makes me feel full and helps me cut down on my unwanted craving for not so healthy food. I sprinkle little bit of cheese on my eggs, but they taste delicious without them too. Do give it a try!

11. Jaques

Jaques Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ohh yes!!! You have no idea how much I love eggs. They are one of my favourites and I have them without bread, just as is. Usually I take them thrice a week. I think I will include it as a part of my daily breakfast. I shall also search for more recipes that will help me to cook them in different ways so that I do not get bored eating the same thing. Thank you so so so much for the suggestion. I am lucky to have joined this forum!!!

12. Thompson

Thompson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ultimately Weetabix is a great cereal to have for breakfast. It is low in salt and sugar one biscuit contains one-hundredth of a teaspoon of salt. It can absolutely be eaten in a balanced and healthy diet.

13. Frankfut

Frankfut Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.

14. RTWodit

RTWodit Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +0
    in the last 2 days i have had extra money added to the price of a gift card for a buy it now when there is no tax or shipping fee when you checkout. the first time they said it was there fault and would refund the difference. today it happened again. is anybody else having this issue?

thanks