1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vitamin c overdose - can you have too much?

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by Ananya, May 19, 2018.

1. Ananya

Ananya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been having a major confusion for the past 3 days. I like orange juice and I consume more than 2 litres daily. The previous day, one of my colleagues saw me finishing my second bottle of orange juice and advised me not to drink so much as too much of Vit. C is also not good for the body. I have been suffering from cold for the past few days, so I increased my orange juice intake a little more because Vit. C is known to cure colds. Now I am wondering if I am doing the right thing by consuming so much of orange juice in a day. Will it do more harm than good? Can someone please tell me? I do not take any Vit. C supplements, it’s only the orange juice I like so much and keep drinking.

2. irene

irene Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    It is true that consuming too much of Vitamin C can be bad for your body. The amount recommended medically is not more than 2g/day. Our body does not store vitamin C and it gets peed out, but if our intake is more than what the body can handle, it gets accumulated, which can cause Vitamin C toxicity, in turn resulting in stomach upset. Excess consumption of Vitamin C can also cause kidney stones. Also, I don’t think we have any solid evidence of its ability to decrease symptoms associated with cold. So, I don’t think doping yourself with Vitamin C is a good idea.

3. Hayden

Hayden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If 2g/day is the permissible limit, then I think you need to consume lots and lots of orange juice to exceed it. The amount you are consuming is far less from that. But, do you not feel weird when you just keep consuming orange juice?

4. irene

irene Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I don’t think 2g is a lot, especially not on the weighing scale. But it also depends if the juice is canned or fresh. In either ways, if you consume more than 2 liters in a day, the amount of Vitamin C would have definitely gone above 2g.

5. Ananya

Ananya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel like I have gotten so used to drinking orange juice. I would not say addicted but yes, somewhere close to that. But I think I should cut down my intake as too much of anything does more harm than good. Thank you for your replies!!

6. shradha

shradha PR Founder

Ratings:
    +53
    Lethal dose of Vit C for humans is 11.9g per kilogram of body weight. I assume you may weight nearly 10 stones and your lethal dose would be 755g of pure Vit C, which is almost equal to 1kg. And here I am talking of pure Vit C. Orange juice does not contain pure Vit C by the way. It may have about 50mg of Vit C per 100ml. So if it has to be an overdose, you will have to consume 1500 plus litres or orange juice, which I think is beyond anyone’s capacity. So do not be worried about it. If you like it, then have it.

7. Ananya

Ananya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Omg!!! That’s a nice calculation. I am happy to know that I can drink my favorite orange juice as much as I want. And yes consuming 1500l/day is definitely not in my capacity!! Thanks at ton for putting my mind at ease.

8. irene

irene Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a pharmacy student and I have good knowledge about such things. Of course, nobody is going to consume so much of orange juice in a day, not even a giant. Also, lethal dose is different from toxic dose. Lethal dose is the one in which there are chances a person can die, whereas toxic dose is the one where a person can experience adverse effects. Lethal dose of Vitamin C is very high but not the toxic dose. 2g of Vitamin C definitely can’t kill you, but you may experience side effects. It is all up to you at the end of the day. But it’s better to keep a watch. Also, if you decide to continue with the amount you are currently having, it is better that you go for fresh orange juice.

9. jerry

jerry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have personal experience with side effects of drinking too much orange juice. Once I drank more than 2l of freshly squeezed orange juice at a summer party, thinking it’s healthy and will keep me hydrated but I ended up with a stomach upset. So, I would recommend that you have it in moderation. I think as pharmie said, I had crossed the toxic dose which led to loose stools.

10. humbug

humbug Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    My experience with “too much of orange juice” was not good either. I had a Vit C poisoning last year when I drunk approx. 3 litres of orange juice in a day. The juice was all bright which attracted me and I kept on drinking as the weather was humid that day. I did not realize what I was doing was one big mistake till it was night time. I woke up in the middle of the night with acute stomach and back pains, which were accompanied by fever. When I peed, I also noticed that my urine was very dark in color and it had an awful stench. I was down with fever for 2 days and became very weak. It took me 10 complete days to recoup and it took 2 weeks for my urine to become normal in color. I was happy that the Vit C drama was over and swore to myself that I would never consume so much of orange or any juice, everrr!!!

11. Ananya

Ananya Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel so sorry to hear your story humbughumbug . But it is a good thing that you shared it with us, especially me. I think it will be better for me if I have it in moderation. I don’t want to go through all these troubles, unnecessarily. Thank you so much for telling me. I shall definitely be careful when I have orange juice the next time.

12. Rachel T

Rachel T Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Vitamin C is necessary antioxidant and essential nutrient for your body to perform daily functions. It is soluble in water and hence body does not store or make it so you must take in that much every day to meet nutritional needs. But excess intake of vitamin C may have adverse side effects on your health. I think proven limit of taking vitamin C is about 10000 mg per day.

13. ed_ten_72

ed_ten_72 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0