1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Propecia hairline results & reviews? Does it work?

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by Kackish, Jan 4, 2016.

Section:
  1. Kackish

Kackish Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hey guys, I am about to try propecia. So tell me - did finasteride fix receding hairline for you, especially the frontal hairline? My hair is getting thinner by the day and I am hoping this medication could improve the shedding and maybe even reverse it with some hairgrowth.

2. Tiger

Tiger Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say, it stopped my shedding totally. I was told by my doc that it will be couple of months before I see any results, but I could tell noticeable improvement within a month and by the end of the 3rd month .I had thick frontal hair. So ya, propecia worked very well for me and I am a good responder to the medication apparently.

3. Vince

Vince Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Very good experience. It worked very well indeed. Only thing is my hair got more unruly, not straight like before. After seeing some good results and getting my hair back, I stopped the drug. I had used it for 7 months without side effects, but decided to stop since I was happy with results.

4. bigfish

bigfish Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I first started taking propecia in 2004 at the age of 28. It arrested the fall and I was happy. But then I started reading reports of people claiming to have lost libido and sensitivity to sex and so discontinued although I had no side effects personally.

Just 4 months after stopping propecia, my hair started falling out again quite rapidly. Again started the medication and just like that - no real hairfall and I have had some regrow over the years. Yes, I am still on propecia in 2016 :)

5. Medic

Medic Administrator

Ratings:
    +49
    I have not used Propecia but I hope the following diagram depicting result of an important US FDA clinical will established how well propecia works for the majority of people.

propecia-result-clinical-study-review.gif
    The chart above shows the number of hair follicles over time in patients receiving treatment. I hope the figure is clear to you guys. It maybe hazy on mobiles I suppose. The "1" represent patients who are on propecia for 1 year and "P" is actually people who were on placebo for a year.

The "shaded triangle" represents (1/1/1/1/1) - people who were on propecia for 5 years and
    the "hollow circle" represents people who were all on placebo the entire 5 years.

The difference in density is pretty comprehensive and there can be no greater testimony to propecia's effectiveness. Over the trial period of 5 years, the patients who were on propecia actually inmcreased their density by about 50 follicles per inch whereas the ones who were NOT on placebo lost about 240 follicles per inch. Wow!

6. Bradley Cooper

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats a good one MedicMedic , but let me throw in some numbers put things more in perspective. I am quoting from Merck's site
    I believe that the only way to truly know if you are a good responder is if you try the medication for atleast 6 months. Most respond within 3 months, some are late responders while there are few who do not respopnd to propecia.

Purchased from Doctorfox who have good prices on Propecia* , I turned out to be a great responder, I not only stopped shedding, but also increased the density of my frontal hairline and crown. No side effects whatsoever!

7. hairy

hairy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Without propecia, I would be a bald man today. I'll stick with Propecia till something better comes along. No transplant for me.
    Propecia works for 90% of people and does feel like a mini miracle :)

8. yespecia

yespecia Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I first noticed the increased shedding in June 2015. Started Propecia in September and the hairfall continued till November but by the time December arrived it virtually stopped. And surprisingly now my hair feels thicker and denser and when I run my hands across them I feel like they are stronger and fuller. Absolutely no side effects. Its awesome really :)

9. Dave

Dave Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Been taking propecia for 8 months now. The hair loss has stopped almost entirely. I am pretty certain I will not go bald if I continue taking this. That's the good news. But, there seems to be some side effects. I mean I feel like my penis doesnt respond as well as before. I can get erections, but just not as quick as before. Some loss of libido. Another thing is I noticed that the amount of ejaculate is noticeable lesser than before. I spoke to my doctor who says it will be back to normal once taper of the medication.

10. superstump

superstump Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Propecia to me is a wonder drug. Solves the hair fall problem very effectively and like many others have stated in this thread, I too DO NOT experience any side effects. I really don't understand the couple of guys who raised the sexual side effects issue here. I am not denying their claim, but I wonder if this is blown out of proportion.

Consider the results of the clinical trial here
    It clearly suggests that sexual side effects are only an issue once you get to 5mg finasteride dose which is given for prostate problems. The dose for hair fall is 1mg. And the rate of sexual side effects measured during the study for that dose is 1.8% libido loss and 1.3% erection issues.

Now here's the interesting part. Within the same study, people who were given placebo(inert sugar pill) experienced 1.3% libido loss and 0.7% erectile propblems. So how do you explain that?

My belief is that certain people are already experiencing problems regardless of propecia and it just seems like a reason to point the problem at propecia. I am not saying that there can be no issues. But surely its exagerated. In any case the researchers also found that any sexual side effects reversed once the very tiny % of patients who reported sexual side effects stopped the treatments.

If anyone is still worried about sexual side effects, here is what seems like a common sense approach:
    1. Just get a pill splitter cut the 1mg dose into 2 and take 0.5 mg per day.
    2. Complement it with "Regaine extra strength".
    3. Keep a close watch, see how you feel and stop the medication if you suspect any side effects.

11. bryce

bryce Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    My hair loss problem got squashed many years ago by Propecia and it sure looks like I'll have a nice full head of hair till I grow old. My dad and 2 brothers were all bald by 30 and I look like an alien in the family with a head full of hair muahahaha.

For those who need proof of it's effectiveness, here are some pics I pulled off the internet.
    propecia-reviews.gif
    propecia-results.gif

12. douglas

douglas Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I come from a family where male baldness is genetic and sets pretty early on. My dad and my brother both were bald by 30 and when I started losing serious amounts of hair at 23, I was at a loss. I didn’t want to bald that early! My life was just beginning and I wanted to focus on bigger issues like job, love life, etc. instead of worrying about my hair. Propecia was the perfect solution for me and it seemed like my hair loss stopped overnight. I have been taking it for more than 3 years now and can confidently say that I am looking forward to many more years of a head full of hair.

13. propman

propman Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    #13 propman, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
    With a family history of baldness, my thinning hair was an issue of daily concern for me. I started using Propecia for hair growth. Though I initially did not notice much changes, I continued to take it and slowly my hair started to regrow. It took about 3-4 months of time for the drug to show significant progress. I then switched to Propecia and the progress was tremendous. Not only did my hair grow much faster, it was also thicker. My receding hairline vanished too. Though I did have minor side effects like chills, I am not sure I can pinpoint it at the drug. Also, I do not face these side effects any more.

14. bluelight

bluelight Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    #14 bluelight, Apr 6, 2016
    I have been on Propecia for close to 6 months now and there have been noticeable changes in my body. The most important among them is obviously the regrowth of hair and a positive change to my receding hairline. Though I no longer get an erection in the morning and am experiencing a little loss in my libido, I am not too concerned about it as my doctors have assured me that all things shall be back to normal once I stop taking my medication for a continuous period of 3 months. So fingers crossed there but at this age, I don’t want to lose either. Both my hair and my sex drive are important for me.

15. Vince

Vince Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    #15 Vince, Apr 9, 2016
    I have been using Propecia since the last 2 years and the worst thing that I can say about the drug is that the pill costs $2 each. But if you keep in mind the dosage, the pocket pinch evens itself out. I have a head full of thick hair now and no noticeable side effects that I can link back to the drug. However, one must be careful to continue with the doses. If you stop taking it and then start all over again, it takes a while for the medicine to work.

16. bigfish

bigfish Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    #16 bigfish, Apr 12, 2016
    Though I read a lot online how Propecia took a while to show some positive effects for people, I am happy to say I am not one of those. Within a week or so of starting Propecia, I noticed a difference in my hair fall and my towel after the shower was no longer strewn with hair. Also my hair was relatively thicker and I had good hair growth.

17. supremeshit

supremeshit Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently started experiencing heavy hair loss and my doctor prescribed Propecia for me. I take 1.25 mg dosage and have noticed that my hair-fall has come down since the last 4 months that I have been using it. However, I have also been experiencing a reduced sex drive and my amount of ejaculation has come down too. Since I am not on any other medication, I don’t know whether to blame it on the drug or my age (I am 50).

18. Timmy

Timmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    #18 Timmy, Apr 19, 2016
    I am doubtful whether anybody else can give a better feedback about this drug than me. You see, I have been a Propecia user since the last 20 years! Not only has it helped my receding hairline, but I have also noticed that my hair is now much thicker and of better quality in general. It also covers most of my head as opposed to the thinning corners earlier. It is also said that Proscar is helping my aging prostate. The drug has helped me so immensely and I have been using it for such a long time that now I am a little scared to stop using it. I mean, who doesn’t like the extra bounce – both in their hair and in their step.

19. mastercat

mastercat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    #19 mastercat, Apr 23, 2016
    I owe my happiness and self-confidence to Propecia. With the thinning out of hair and a receding hairline at an early age, I began to lose hope; and the despair and frustration that I was feeling spilled over to the other aspects of my life. My work performance was at an all-time low because I could rarely concentrate and my love life was suffering because I used to be irritated and depressed all the time owing to my hair loss.

Within a few months of starting Propecia, my hair fall reduced considerably and I noticed thicker and less brittle hair growing back. It gave an immense boost to my confidence and my looks and helped me overcome my frustration. Life has been better in more ways than one thanks to Propecia.

20. moonman

moonman Rookie

Ratings:
    +1
    #20 moonman, Apr 25, 2016
    Last year I started losing hair rapidly. And with the super-hot climate here in Arizona, multiple baths in a day are a regular feature but I began dreading them as each time I pulled my fingers through my wet hair, I would land up with tufts in my hand. It was heart-breaking. For the longest time I deliberated about starting Propecia as I had heard about the side effects like loss of libido. But, fear of baldness won over and I started taking Proscar.

Though there was no immediate change and my hair fall continued, I kept faith and continued taking the suggested dose. Within a few months, I noticed that my hair had started growing back and this time it was much thicker and of better quality which didn’t break as easily. I no longer fear showers and the best part is that there has been no change in my libido so I would say that it’s a win-win situation for me.

21. killer

killer Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Though I did have a bit of hairline recession at 20, you can imagine my horror when a couple of months ago (I am 21 now) I pulled back my hair and not only did I end up with several clumps of hair, but also noticed severely visible thinning of hair near my temples.

I have been on Propecia 1.25mg for the past 2 months but I do not see any improvement as such. In fact, my hair has thinned out more in the crown area, something which wasn’t there earlier. The hair shedding rate remains the same with no improvements but not getting worse either. The inability of get an erection in the morning is scaring me a bit but I am just hoping that all these are initial symptoms are will settle down soon.

I will give this drug a few more months of scope just to see how things pan out. Hopefully you guys will hear good things from me soon. Fingers crossed.

22. Wayne

Wayne Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I started taking finasteride 4 weeks ago and I was expecting the shedding to of stopped by now but I feel like it's got worse I'm seeing more hair coming out in the shower I was going thin in the crown but it was still thick at the front but since taking finasteride the front has gone thin is this not going to work for me