1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Metformin causing significant weightloss

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by Medic, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Medic

Medic Administrator

Ratings:
    +49
    Does Metformin cause weight loss for you? I have been on Metformin twice daily for 2 years now. I did notice slight weight loss from the time I started the medication. But over the past 6 month period I have lost 14lbs. I did some research and find that Metformin causes some noticeable weight loss in lot of people.

Have a look at this:

metformin-weight-loss.jpg
    Source

The last tail in the graph is the one that represents data of people who have been adherent on metformin . Seems like the correleation is clear. The only thing is this graph indicates 5% weight loss to be common - but I underwent around 8% weight loss - this without much exercise and a hearty diet.

What's your experience with Metformin?

2. SharSabi

SharSabi Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Wow is it safe to take any medication for weight loss ? Any side effects related? how did you get it ? doesn't it need prescription ? I would love to loose more weight but fear of any side effects.

3. Medic

Medic Administrator

Ratings:
    +49
    Metformin is a diabetic medication - that is prescribed to regulate blood sugar :rolleyes:
    I conclude noone in your family has it, you people are lucky...

4. SharSabi

SharSabi Member

Ratings:
    +4
    My mom's sister has it , and she takes regular medication for it . sorry didn't know the name of it , may be it is Metformin, will ask next time i speak to her. But she is still overweight.

5. kmommy29

kmommy29 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Now I have been on Metformin since I was first diagnosed in 2008 and my weight has been fluctuating for years. I really don't see the weight loss that everyone else brags about. I will be very happy to have any diabetes medication that can help me with my sugars and my weight all in one shot. The most I have heard about Metformin is that any diabetic on that drug better be on some powerful and effective birth control because Metformin can easily help you get pregnant.

6. CD Salvo

CD Salvo Rookie

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm ashamed to say that I envy you guys. I'm actually gaining weight, and I take 3 tablets of Metformin a day.
    But I bet if everything I eat tastes like Met I'll get a whole lot thinner. ;)

7. shradha

shradha PR Founder

Ratings:
    +53
    I feel metformin doesn't always cause weight loss. Some of my relatives have gained weight after consuming metformin.

8. short.cake

short.cake Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +122
    On my last yearly physical, the doc said that I lost 18lbs. My clothes didn't fit differently, and I didn't know that I lost that much weight. It fluctuates a few pounds up and down, and sometimes my jeans will fit a little looser, but nothing significant. I take metformin twice a day.

BUT, when I asked why I didn't see a big difference at losing 18lbs, she told me that it was most likely weight loss from muscle loss. I didn't really understand what she was explaining. I do feel like I don't have as much strength in my hands/arms, and even my legs sometimes, as I did maybe 5 years ago. I always attributed to being overweight, and not having the movement that I used to have , or the energy to walk as far, etc.

Is this a common thing? It seems strange and confusing. It is a little off topic from the original topic, but since I take metformin I thought it might be tied together.

9. Dorothy

Dorothy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have been taking Metformin for about three years now I guess and I have lost some weight since I've been taking it. I have also experienced being really tired all the time. I have never been one to take naps during the day, but I have been doing more so since taking metformin. But at night, I can't seem to get to sleep. I don't know if it is also a side effect from taking metformin or just part of having diabetes.

10. Claude

Claude Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I've heard metformin does helps in weight-loss but to a certain degree. It's impressive you didn't had to make drastic changes in your lifestyle to get this results. This medication is not only very efficient for Type2 diabetes, but also helps women who suffer from polycystic ovary syndrome, and it's not expensive at all, so it's a good option. Although the side-effects are not that common, I was wondering if after two years you don't feel any. Metformin can damage your liver and kidneys after a while, maybe it's something you have to check regularly, just to make sure everything is okay.

11. Linda Burroughs

Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, if you are taking this medication because it is prescribed to you for diabetes then so be it. If it happens to help you lose weight, great, if not and its helping keep your blood sugar levels in check, great. But......if you are wanting to take something that is designed to aid in the maintenance of diabetes and don't have the condition, don't take it.

Any physician prescribing it solely for weight loss.....well I can't see it to start with. When I was young (in my late teens) I stole a bunch of my dad's diuretics to help me feel like i was thinner. I was anorexic/bulimic at the time. Ya, it sloughed a lot of water weight off of me, but that is all. And of course, the weight would always bounce back after I stopped and my body stabilized again.

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record on this one, but there is only one healthy way to lose weight that I know of. Less intake of calories and increased exercise. When I finally got over torturing myself with diets and scales, I concluded that everything in moderation does work. I simply eat when I'm hungry. I don't eat when I'm not. If I feel weight creeping up I pick up the pace a bit in my routine. Simple and it works.

Really! Our bodies are amazing that way. It knows what weight it wants to be and feels good at. When I push my weight too low, my body compensates by.sucking every little calorie out of every bite of food that even comes near my lips and then hanging on to it for dear life. When things are normal, I can eat what I choose so long as I don't gorge on any one thing. If you are on this med for diabetes and your worried about it, see your doctor.

12. BreezyB

BreezyB Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I have PCOS & an insulin resistance (not diabetes) I was given metformin to help with weight loss. I lost 30lbs in the beginning. I still take 800mg 2x a day & it helps me maintain my weight. However if I ever run out, which I have a few times, I start gaining weight pretty quickly. so I'm guessing this will be a medication I stay on for a very long time.

13. HoneyBunny

HoneyBunny Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I am glad ClaudeClaude had said this was used for polycystic ovaries because I was certain that the OB had mentioned metformin to me as a treatment option. However I do not have Diabetes. Seeing as it is used to treat both conditions I would say it has to do something to the water levels in the body or the kidneys and clearing of urea. As I recall my grandmother that was a diabetic took a water pill regularly, although I was never sure exactly why. This would explain the fluctuation in weight gain and loss though, because you can put on weight very fast when you retain water.

14. short.cake

short.cake Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +122
    MeleiMelei I wish it was that easy. I'm not disputing what you are saying about weight loss. 'Eat less, move more' is definitely a proven way to lose weight.

But, for some people, like myself, I can stick to a very strict calorie intact diet, and exercise more and still have trouble losing weight. I know I probably need to exercise more then I do, but I do what my body will allow every day. I have increased walking on the treadmill over time, and make a hard effort to walk every single day. Plus, I have been paying close attention to my meals by journaling them so I stay where I should.

I have an under active thyroid and take medication for it as well as the metformin and other meds including a diuretic. I have increased the dosages twice in the last two years. I know people feel that is an 'easy' excuse for not losing weight, but I really think that is what prevents me from dropping weight. It is very frustrating and discouraging.

I commend you for being able to lose the weight, and keep it off! That is a big step for you since you also dealed with eating disorders in the past. (y)

15. William

William Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've never experienced weight loss. I've only experienced really bad gastric reflux from taking metformin. Currently in the process of changing medications, cause it's getting unbearable.

16. FatAmy

FatAmy Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I have experienced weight loss but I don't think I can safely conclude it's because of metformin. I've been taking it for around 2 years now for my diabetes Type 2. Sometimes, I do gain some weight too while on that medication. From what I've observed, it depends more on my calorie intake and level of activity.

This is interesting though because my aunt told me some girls in her office take metformin for weight loss. Mind you, this was in another country where the medicine isn't as strictly regulated as in the US.

17. Butterfly

Butterfly Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You might want to take a fresh look at metformin. This medication has one of the longest safety track records of ANY medicine that is still being prescribed today. I believe it was first used back in the 1930's and recently a study was started to investigate and prove its worth as the first verifiable life extension drug.

The great thing about this drug is that if you do take it for weight loss, the only side effect that the vast majority of people are going to experience is some gastrointestinal upset that usually goes away within a couple months.

Yes. It helped me loose weight, but I am one of the ones who gets a rare side effect from it that can kill me if i continue to take it more than a couple weeks at a time. So I take it for a while, go off it, and then go back on it in a cyclic fashion. I also have type 2 diabetes as well.

18. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Medic, you know, I'm really glad you made this post. I say this because my doctor prescribed me Metformin a few months ago. She prescribed this due to my rapid weight gain which was being caused by ovarian polycystic syndrome. The syndrome was also causing me to develop diabetes, which she explained was one of the side effects of the syndrome for many women. I was experiencing a lot of thirst, was urinating a lot and my arms and legs were hurting. My insulin levels were really high. After I started taking the medication I actually started to notice weigh loss within the first 3 weeks, my problem was that the pain in my arms and legs got worse, specially in the forearms and hands, so I stopped taking them. I did this because I became scared. After I stopped taking them, I switched my diet, and in 2 months my sugar levels had dropped to one of a normal person, and I had a lot less pain in my extremities, but the weight was still there. I knew that at some point in time I was going to have to take my medication, but I guess I was procrastinating it. Seeing you have such positive results really inspires me to want to take them again. Before I do so of course, I'll go back to the doctor and see what she says. Thank a lot for this.

19. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +22
    I think that everybody has different side effects. When I was first on Metformin I did lost a lot of weight, but I was trying to lose weight anyway in order to improve my condition, so I'm not sure to what extent it was actually due to the Metformin at all. There are so many other things going on that it's difficult to tell. However, I do believe the medication to be largely safe, and as a result of that most people can take it long term without any problems. If your weight loss is severe, there is always the chance that you're having an adverse reaction to it, and this means that you should perhaps have a discussion with your GP about an alternative medication that you could try instead.

20. wildstar

wildstar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Metformin shouldn't cause significant weight loss - I think it can do if you have diarrhoea as a result of taking it which in effect causes the weight loss. Mostly it isn't healthy to have diarrhoea long term and if that side effect doesn't settle you should see a doctor.

21. superstump

superstump Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Plenty of clinical trials indicate that metformin does have a modest effect on weight loss in patients with T2D, PCOS, and possibly in overweight and obese euglycemic patients. Ofcourse there are patients who were unaffected, but the majority of clinical trial subjects observed noticeable weight loss.

22. rz3300

rz3300 Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +33
    Well it is hard to really argue with studies and when you have nice charts and things like that. I would say that I would need to look a little more into it before really deciding on anything, but I would also hope that this exists on a large scale for people out there who are taking it.