1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Hey! Signup here! to join our community and participate in health & medical research oriented discussions.

If you are already a member please login here.
Hey! Signup here! to join our community.
Already a member? login here.

Isotretinoin (Isotrex Gel) Reviews For Acne

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by BitterSweet, May 7, 2016.

1. BitterSweet

BitterSweet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had moderate level facial acne since my teenage years, which means I have basically been battling this thing for about a decade now. Having tried many remedies, I finally decided to take my chances with Isotrex gel a few months ago. I was prescribed to start with an initial dose of 20mg with an increment of 10mg per month after that. I have had varied side effects, but none of them have been drastic.

But what is interesting is that my side effects have changed every month with the change in the dosage.For the 1st month, I had experienced over all dryness in my body and especially very dry lips, and a mild body ache. I also saw some new pimples popping up.By the next month when the dosage increased; my side effects from the previous month were gone. Instead; I had to deal with split ends in my hair, eyes becoming sensitive to sunlight, and an extreme aversion towards all oily food.

I have just started my 3rd month a few days back and so am waiting to see if these side effects stick or they change again. Also, I have started taking a multivitamin and drink up to a gallon of water daily. My observation is that it is helping to counter the side effects but whether it is effective or not, only time will tell.

2. whiteflake

whiteflake Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I will not be exaggerating one bit if I say that Isotretinoin saved my life. It actually did. I have had severe acne for about 3 years now. I have tried everything – the pills, the creams, the treatments and the works. I also tried changing my diet by including more fresh fruits, increasing my vegetable intake, limiting alcohol and caffeine and what not. Unfortunately, nothing helped.

So when my dermatologist prescribed Isotrex gel it is obvious that I took it without much enthusiasm and did not expect to see any big changes. Rather, I was in for a surprise! Within a week, my face started clearing out and by the end of the month, most of my oil pimples were gone. Also; 30 mins in the sun and I can sear a chicken breast with all that oil in face symptom vanished too. Two months of Isotrex gel today, and I can finally say that my face is acne free. No one but a fellow sufferer would understand the relief.

3. BigRed

BigRed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Close to 30 years. Yes, that is how long I have had acne – close to 30 years now. Being a woman and being acne prone is bad enough; but when you are a man in your early 40s and have to explain your acne filled face to the inquisitory looks, life can be devastating. My face was scarred, but it is my self-esteem issues that were killing me. I have been using Isotrex gel for about two months now, and trust me; the worst thing about this product is its pocket pinch. Getting my insurance to cover for it is a pain but apart from that, I am pretty happy with it. Finally, my face is clearing up quite a bit and after three decades, I can finally have my self-esteem back. This drug is a miracle.

4. jefff

jefff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been battling cystic acne for the last 5 years and I have tried every possible remedy for it. From the best OTC drugs to the creams, gels, treatments – you name it and I have most probably tried it. Last month, my dermatologist prescribed Isotrex gel for me and I was ready to put another name to the long list of things that haven’t worked out for me. But; that did not happen. Within the 1st month itself, my face started clearing up.

In the 2nd month now and all my cystic acne is gone. Though the previous scars remain, I do not have a single new pimple on my face. I haven’t had any side effects till now, but I still have two months of treatment left ahead of me. But with the progress that I am seeing, there is only one thing that I can say – it works! I purchased from Doctorfox who have a full array of prescription treatments for acne*.

5. Mim

Mim Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Home solutions like lemon and sugar masks, banana peels; including probiotics like yogurt in diet, complete abstinence from alcohol, caffeine, chocolates, and all kinds of sugary stuff; laser treatments; creams like retin-a and the likes; changing my diet and workout routine, drinking a gallon (yes, I measured) of water each day – I could go on and on, but you get the idea. I tried every available thing known to man and Google. Nothing helped.

And then I tried Isotrex gel. And cheesy though I may sound over here, It did work like a miracle for me. I experienced a few side effects of the drug, namely; chapped lips, dry skin, and muscle weakness; but most of it was bearable. Now 6 months later, my acne is gone and so are the side effects. I truly did not expect it to work after so many failures. But it did. And it gave me my life back.

6. ladysparkle

ladysparkle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had struggled with acne for so long that I have almost lost count of the years. I have had it most of my adult life and I am thankful for a partner like my husband who looks past the acne and sees me for the person that I am. I started taking Isotrex gel a few years ago and it was worked wonderfully for me. I haven’t faced any major side effects worth mentioning apart from the dry skin which seems to be like the most common complaint with the drug.

Unfortunately for me, my 16 year old daughter seems to have inherited my genes when it comes to skin. I am soon going to take her for a dermatologist visit and I wouldn’t worry about the money if she too is prescribed Isotrex gel. I know how important a clear skin is – both for your self-esteem and for your health. I am so glad that my daughter will discover the joy of a clear skin much earlier than I did.

7. martyy

martyy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I started using Isotrex gel just a week back so let me begin by saying that I am still a work in progress. I have had acne for as long as I can remember and trust me, the stares are not cool at all. I have tried most creams, ointments, and tablets available out there. My skin has started clearing already and I have had no new breakouts in the past whole week. My lips are a bit dry and I feel a slight back ache so I could probably say that these are the side effects for me, but neither is unmanageable at this stage. I am just praying that the drug keeps working its charm and makes me go totally pimple free soon.

8. tommyteen

tommyteen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The worst thing that you can do before you start taking a drug is to open the Internet and read the scores of negative reviews floating around about it. I did just that. Plus the list of documented but rarely occurring side effects mentioned about the drug is hardly encouraging.

But I am so glad to have taken the leap after being constantly irritated with my irregular but frequent breakouts. I just have to say that not everything that you find on the internet is true; nor is it necessarily applicable for you. I, for example, hardly experienced any side effects of isotretinoin apart from dry skin and a mild fatigue. Nothing that a bottle of moisturiser and a good night’s sleep couldn’t cure.

Six months down the line and completely acne free, I am happy to have trusted my instincts instead of the reviews.

9. thomas

thomas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Though I trust my dermatologist blindly, truth be told; I was more than a little sceptical when he prescribed Isotrex gel. I mean, I had read the reviews and a few among them were not particularly encouraging. But on the other hand, I had been dealing with acne for years and my self-confidence wasn’t at a great place either. I took the plunge. The worst thing that happened to me was dry lips that required chap stick use multiple times a day. But that was far better than having to battle with acne every single day. I would personally choose chapstick application over depressing mood any day. This drug needs more serious reviews from people whom it has helped.

10. GB

GB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I can be branded as a classic case of acne wreaks havoc poster ad. I have had it since I was 10 years old and like most others, I did not get acne just on my face. I also got it on my shoulders and my back. It was really bad. The teenage years were especially full of torment. I rarely got asked out, the popular people didn’t want to be friends with me, and when people spoke to me they stared at my face and my scars instead of looking at my eyes or concentrating on what I was saying. I contemplated suicide a few times due to my self-esteem issues.

Then, my mum took me to a hospital nearby and the consultant dermatologist recommended Isotrex-gel. I could bless that lady my whole life. Within 6 months, my acne vanished and the oily texture of my skin improved dramatically. I also introduced some changes in my lifestyle and my diet; and started attending a motivational course. It gave me back my confidence to face my fears and the ability to walk in public with my head high. People still stared at my scars, but Isotrex-gel ensured that I had no new ones.

11. Mikey

Mikey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My mom was prescribed Isotrex-gel in the 1980s and so with almost three decades of experience behind her; I can tell you that the drug really does work. She was the everybody-knows-her person at the wellness centre closest to her house. The dermatologists had seen it all and done it all. She was put under all sorts of treatments that ranged from UV rays, to X-Ray treatments to liquid nitrogen (dry ice) experiments.

She had also tried almost every other antibiotic and cream available in the market. But nothing had worked and the dermatologist seemed really excited to try this new drug so she kind of played along with her. Not only did it work, it actually cleared up her skin within 3 months. Though she still gets an occasional pimple here or there; she has free skin since then. Also, she did not face any side effects worth mentioning.

12. christopherr

christopherr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had really bad acne and fearing for the worst, my doctor had ordered for liver function tests for me. My reports came back decent and I was asked to see a dermatologist. He prescribed isotretinoin for me and I was put up at a pretty high dose of 60mg per day. Though I initially did not see much improvements externally, I believe it did try to cure me, because my breakouts became less and less frequent.

By the end of the year, and in less than 9 months my acne had cleared up and I had no new symptoms. The old scarring which was a result of my laziness and disinterest to handle my skin properly, also started showing improvements. I have now been prescribed a really low dose of 10mg and I have to take it just twice a week. All I can say is that – in these 2 years isotretinoin has given me that which medicines, creams, and treatments worth thousands of dollars couldn’t give me.

13. supercargo

supercargo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Social life and acne aren’t the best of friends; more so when you are 16. So it is no rocket science that I had few friends, fewer dates, and no interest in absolutely anything. My dermatologist prescribed Isotrex gel to help me and I am so glad I listened to her suggestion. My acne cleared within 6 months and though I was scared reading the list of documented side effects, I am glad I was hit with none of them. It has been 8 years now and my acne hasn’t come back. It is nothing short of a miracle drug for me and I recommend it to anybody who feels that bad acne is ruining their chances of a happy life.

14. turpy

turpy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had moderate level of acne all my life and since most of the treatments have not worked out for me as such, I decided to take my chances when I was prescribed isotretinoin. The most disturbing side effect for me was the change in my blood pressure. My blood pressure used to be in the 80s but within a week of starting the medicine, it sky rocketed to the high 90s. I stopped taking it at once. Though it was working on my acne, it isn’t worth having a stroke over. Dryness of skin is one thing; high blood pressure in someone who has had normal pressure fluctuations all their life is another story altogether, and is a risk that I am not willing to take.

15. carl16

carl16 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Acne brought me close to depression. I turned unsocial, moody, and a difficult person in general. I would oscillate between fits of angers and episodes of shedding copious amounts of tears. But never have been one of those to give up on what is their fair due; I realised that this was no way to live. So I decided to hunt for a solution once and for all. I visited a dermatologist to prescribed Isotrex gel to me.

I started taking the medicine but I also introduced other changes in my life. I started eating healthy – kale and spinach became my new best friends. I drank a gallon of water each day and stopped all alcohol completely; I didn’t even get tempted into a single glass of beer. Also; I started working out religiously, ate all my meals in time and slept 7-8 hours each day.

Within a month, I started seeing positive changes. Two months later, all my acne was gone and my face had cleared up totally. Also, my face was less oiler in comparison and there were no new acne showing up. In these 3 months, I did not experience any side effect at all. And now, the acne is gone but my boosted up confidence and my new healthier lifestyle is here to stay.

16. denise

denise Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Our dermatologist prescribed Isotrex gel when we took our 15 year old son to him for cystic acne. With a full blown breakout, our son’s self-esteem was at an all-time low. Though the costs were pretty high, we decided to proceed with the medication because his confidence mattered to us and better get it treated once and for all than deal with it all through life.

My son took the medicine for exactly 15 days. He had every imaginable side effect possible. Chapped lips and dry skin didn’t bother us. But moodiness and irritation that bordered on depression, thinning hair, having trouble sleeping, and dizziness along with double vision did. We stopped the medication immediately and are now waiting for his blood results to come back so that we can take appropriate action. I am highly disappointed.

17. justMe

justMe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The major thing that I can tell you about Isotretinoin is that you have to trust the process. I had horrible acne and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I would be able to experience an acne free face, shoulders, and back. But it did happen. It helped me experience that bliss. I did have the usual side effects of chapped lips, dry skin, and an occasional upset stomach; what was more important that within a few months, I bid goodbye to my acne.

As I said earlier, trust the process and do not expect immediate results. The entire of the 1st month when I was on the drug, I broke out horribly and new oil pimples appeared every day. But I did not give up and continued with my dose as prescribed twice a day. By the end of the 2nd month, the breakouts reduced in frequency and the old ones started healing slowly. It took 5 months for me to be totally acne free.

18. soben

soben Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had acne since I was 10 years old and I am 25 now. So that’s basically one and a half decade of dealing with acne. Most of the antibiotics did not work for me as I got horrid side effects and for the few that actually worked, I broke out the moment I missed a single dose. I am so glad Isotretinoin proved to be different.

My dermatologist did ask me to watch out for serious incidences when he prescribed this to me. I did experience a few side effects like chapped lips and unusually dry skin but a chapstick and a bottle of moisturiser took care of these issues. My appetite soared like anything, but I ensured to fill myself up with the good and healthy stuff instead of piling on the junk. Also, I was groggy for a better part of the day and couldn’t do without sleep for long. I used to frequently take naps at short intervals. But none of these side effects lasted after I stopped the medicine after my 4 month course. Most of them where gone within a week. 6 months down the line,

I have been 100% acne free since the last 2 months, my skin feels supple, and I have a new spring in my step.

19. rusk007

rusk007 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My 17 year old daughter has had acne since her pre-teen years. She has tried almost every medication that has ever been prescribed including minocycline, doxycycline, tetracycline and many others. She has also tried a host of creams, OTC drugs, and even home remedies. But the acne remained stubborn, refusing to budge from her face, shoulders, neck, chest, and back. She was initially hesitant about Isotrex gel, but decided to try it anyway. Two months down and her face already feels smoother. The acne on the chest and neck are drying up too and the other areas are also showing improvement. She is loving the changes and refuse to stop using it till the doctor asks. This is literally the best thing that has happened to us.

20. Luke40

Luke40 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using Isotrex gel for about 12 years now. Each time I use it, my condition worsens for the first few days. I also experience the usual dry skin issues but I try to counter that with baby soap for myself and a really good moisturiser. Also, chapstick is my best friend. After the initial few days, the drug seems to start working. I think maybe it is the process of purging out all the old pimples that would have come anyway. Within a few months, my face and neck clears up and I am good to go for the next 3-4 years. Of the many treatments and drugs available in the market, most of which are futile; this one seems to work best by far.

21. Rosa

Rosa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My elder brother was posted in Japan during the mid-90s and has recently been prescribed Isotretinoin for his acne problems. Though he had always had a happy-go-lucky attitude about life, I found that he has started becoming extremely moody and was slowly leaning in towards depression. There was also the trauma of being in war and being on patrol 24 hours a day – a trauma that he carried home with him and haven’t been able to give up on till date.

Though the acne scarring had started to improve a bit; the dirt and grime of the day-to-day physical army life plus the constant sweating due to the weather plus the parades in the sun did not let the drug help him much. Though he has a loving partner and have been trying since the last 10 years, they haven’t yet been blessed with a child; and somewhere deep down he blames Isotretinoin for it. He also had to get a colonoscopy done and got to know 1 month ago that he has glaucoma. Isotretinoin has ruined his chances of a perfect life.