1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Get Rid Of A Cold Fast

By PR Admin, Apr 20, 2016 | |
  1. PR Admin

PR Admin Administrator

Ratings:
    +6
    Medic submitted a new Article:

How To Get Rid Of A Cold Fast

Read more about this article here...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Deidara

Deidara Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There is actually a rather simple cure. Take a teaspoon of sugar and hold it in your mouth until it dissolves. Do not swallow the liquid, spit it out. Do this a few times if you have a severe cold. I got through a really bad cold recently and doing the above sugar therapy and my coughing, sneezing and headaches rediuced considerably.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. wildstar

wildstar Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Great article. I think it is important to know the difference between a cold and the flu - a cold you can normally get on with your day to day routine but with the flu the symptoms are more severe. For example with a cold you don't normally have a high temperature or body aches. If it is the flu then it is best to stay at home and rest until you are better.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +32
    I think that one of the most common questions on any health forum is about remedies for the common cold, and as of yet, I don't think that anyone as been able to come up with a cure so to speak. There are a lot of things we can do to help us prevent a cold, and also a lot of things that we can do to ease the symptoms while we've got one.

Vitamin C used to be well known for helping with a cold, but just lately new research as found that it doesn't help as much as they thought it did. At the end of the day I don't think that there's any certain way to prevent us getting colds and no cure that will make them disappear overnight. One of the most effective methods I've tried is placing menthol drops into a bowl of boiling water and hold your head over it and that clears your nostrils and throat, but that only helps for a few hours but I think if we are looking for a long term remedy, we're no closer to finding one than we have been for years.

5. wellness

wellness Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +23
    You can find a lot of home remedies on various online sites but the real question is which one really works best. Most of them are written by non-professionals for money who are members to article writing sites or for their own blogs. Try to find information from medical experts. The solution as mentioned by DeidaraDeidara is just amazing. Even though I have not tried it yet I think it is the simplest method anybody can try to get rid of cold and its symptoms.

I am a firm believer in home remedies and always try it whenever possible. In times of cold I prefer taking rest drinking a lot of water and also on food which is easily digestible. If we take foods which are not easy to digest it will result in rising body temperature. I also take fruits which are high in vitamin C like Indian gooseberry (amla) or orange which are great immunity boosters. I will be a pure vegetarian during these days.

6. cottontail

cottontail Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Whenever I have colds, I don't usually take any medicine. I only eat fresh garlic and drink a lot of water. This really helps to get rid of cold and cough as well. Even though eating fresh garlic does not taste good, well at least it's all natural and will keep me away from harmful side effects of medicine. I also eat food that are rich in Vitamin C and fruits as well :)

7. wellness

wellness Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +23
    You are absolutely right. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and it also boosts your immunity. Vitamin C further fortifies your immunity which makes your recovery faster. I follow the same routine sometimes but as it tastes horrible I add a teaspoon of honey to garlic to make it more palatable.

I crush garlic first and then add honey to it. Crushed garlic produces Allicin which is a powerful antibacterial ingredient. But it is present only for a short time once garlic is crushed so you have to consume it as soon as possible. Allicin is only found in fresh garlic. In short garlic is a powerful antioxidant and it has a high antibacterial, antiviral properties which make it ideal to fight cold or flu.

8. cottontail

cottontail Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks! I've been doing it for years now as I don't really like taking medicines. Not to mention that I'm allergic with paracetamols. When I'm taking garlic as my natural antibiotic, I usually put it into lemon juice so that it will lessen the awful taste. At least I'm also consuming Vitamin C at once :)

Anyway, I'm not really aware of Allicin and that is a powerful antibacterial agent yet I do know that garlic itself is an antibacterial food. I do minced garlic before taking it if I don't put it in lemon juice, is it also the same as crushing it? And yes I do consume it immediately as soon as I minced it. Thanks for letting me know :)

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +37
    I have a cold since Monday and until now I still cannot work in a normal way. I have a cough but not incessant. I sometimes have fever but not high. My body aches and I feel weak. Rest and relaxation didn't work for me. I have started taking antibiotics and I hope to get well soon.

Pardon me if I could not contribute to this thread because I am still sick in bed.

10. Jamille

Jamille Member

Ratings:
    +3
    When it comes to cold, there's nothing like fortifying your immune system on a regular basis. I hardly get both cough and cold and when I do, my body can recover quickly. I like the tips in the article, but, except for gargling water with salt, I take most of the natural cures regularly, and not just when I have cold or cough. I also have to note that my grandparents taught me these treatments and these methods happen to be effective. Honey is a good cure for a lot of illnesses, including chronic cough. The problem is finding a reliable source of honey.