1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does citalopram withdrawal symptoms or discontinuation effects last?

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by jaxton, Mar 23, 2018.

1. jaxton

jaxton Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been taking 20mg citalopram for more than a year. A few weeks back, I decided to come off the drug as I had started to feel way better than usual. Counselling along with the drug has done wonders for me to fight depression. Quitting the drug was a slow and steady process. I was asked to take one every two days, then half every 2 days, then a quarter every 2-3 days. The entire process took more than a month. As of now, I am not on any drug. I had withdrawal symptoms, but I could manage. Eventually, I started feeling terrible emotionally. It felt even worse than before. I feel inefficient at my workplace and I am always paranoid about my relationship. All I want to know is if these are withdrawal symptoms or am I going back into depression again?

2. ollie

ollie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was on cit 20 for more than 8 months and my doctor reduced by dosage to 10mg, 2 months back. And last month, doc asked me to stop taking it entirely and I was off it completely. A few days later I noticed that I was annoyed and irritable even for petty issues. I realized it could be a side effect of stopping the drug. I went back to my doc and explained my situation and he asked me to take cit 10mg for some more time. I think you might be going through the same situation. Talk to your doctor ASAP and ask him what needs to be done. Best of luck.

3. aimee

aimee Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I was taking citalopram for 2 years after facing a traumatic situation. It really helped me to cope with the stress I was going through. A few months back, I decided I would get married and thought this would be a good time to wean myself away from this drug. I had a word with my GP and he advised me not to stop the dose all of a sudden and to take a reduced dose of 10mg.

Following this pattern, my last dose was a week back. For the first few days, I felt weak and exhausted. I would also grow very anxious and start crying for silly things. I hope this phase will pass soon and I would feel normal again. I really do not want to take this medicine again as I am planning to have a baby soon and this drug can cause birth defects. Any consolation would be of great help.

4. steven

steven Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same boat as all of you. You guys are not alone. I reduced my dosage from 20mg to 10 mg 2 weeks back and I just don’t feel normal. My body aches and I feel tired and exhausted all the time. I get palpitations and I have trouble breathing. It makes me so anxious and worried all the time for no good reason. I am trying meditation and relaxation techniques so that I can distract myself. I am hopeful that these disturbing feels shall soon go away. I just want all of you to know- YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS.

5. DAVIAN

DAVIAN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just want to thank you for leaving that note to all of us. I am also in a similar situation. I feel the anxiety and the helpless feeling is the hardest part. Have you managed to deal with it? Your suggestions are most welcome. Thanks again.

6. jubilee

jubilee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been on citalopram 20mg for the past 4 years. Many a times, I decided to come off it but as soon as I stop completely, I would start feeling exhausted, paranoid and anxious. Then my doc would again put me on the lowest dose. This kept on repeating in a cyclic pattern. But I will be firm this time. I have decided that no matter how it pains or how hard it feels, I will give it up. Also, I have put on a lot of weight being on this drug and I need to reduce. So, I am motivating myself to come off it ASAP.

7. florence

florence Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    When I decided to come off citalopram, I was warned by my doc that it could cause severe withdrawal symptoms. Below is my long story cut short:

I began taking cit 60mg last year and suffered from a few bad side effects like hair loss and then reduced my dosage to 40mg, which seemed to work fine for me. 3 months back, I decided that I wanted to get myself off the drug and spoke to my doctor about it. He broke my dose into 2 halves-20mg in the morning and 20mg at night.

A month ago, my dosage was reduced to 20mg, which was again equally divided (10mg each) in the morning as well as night. I am continuing with this till my doctor decided it’s time for me to stop completely. Also, I would like to mention that I decided to come off the drug because I felt I am no longer depressed. The problems in my life that led me to this emotional state are getting better. So, I felt that it’s right time for me to come off the drug.

8. zayden

zayden Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey folks,
    I had been on citalopram for almost 7 years and I ditched it completely at once when I felt it was doing me more harm than good. I feel terrible at the moment, but I am not going to touch that drug again in my life. I will hang in here and wait till this phase passes. I won’t give up.

9. Bubbly

Bubbly Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I was taking citalopram 30mg for over a year and half and now it’s been a week I have come off it. I tried my best to cope up with the withdrawal symptoms, but its taking a toll on me. I have been feeling dizzy and nauseous for the past one week and I don’t think I can handle it anymore. Isn’t there any other alternative, like a drug to cope with the withdrawal symptoms? Please help!

10. ayaan

ayaan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I was prescribed citalopram 10mg 2 years back. I decided to quit this drug because I put on a hell lot of weight. I took it every alternative day and now I am off it completely. But this makes me feel terrible both mentally as well as physically. Mentally I feel anxious most of the time. Physically I get headaches, body pain, muscle cramps etc. I feel tired and fatigued too. Does anyone know how long these side effects are going to last?

11. malakai76

malakai76 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I was taking 20mg citalopram regularly was the past 6 years. 2 weeks back, my doc and I mutually decided that we shall bring its dosage down to 10 mg and then slowly stop it in totality. Since the reduced dosage, I have been very emotionally unstable. I feel like crying most of the times and have mood swings. Physically I feel all tired and bogged down. I keep getting random dreams at night and feel as though I haven’t slept properly. Some days are really rough. My doctor had warned me that it is not going to be easy, but I feel this is too much to handle. I hope this mad phase gets over soon and I am back to normal.

12. Rachel T

Rachel T Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I reckon it depends on how you discontinue using citalopram. Abruptly discontinuing citalopram can cause recurrence of your symptoms, which may eventually subside after a few days. Also, it depends on the individual. There is a less possibility of your withdrawal symptoms lasting long enough after discontinuation. It also depends on how long you had been on citalopram. It is a bit difficult to give you the exact number of days but they may last long for a week or two. It is better to consult with your PCP to get your question answered.

13. Ronaldmon

Ronaldmon Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a lot of Celtic Woman CD's and other groups also. It seems that my CD's only last for about 25-30 plays before they die. This seems like an awfully short lifespan. How long do your CD's last?

14. Thompson

Thompson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Esperal 250 mg Tablet is used to treat chronic alcoholism. It discourages the use of alcohol even in small amounts by causing unpleasant effects such as flushing of the face, vomiting, breathing difficulty, sweating, choking, and anxiety. These effects may start 10 minutes after consumption of alcohol and last for about 1 hour. This medicine only discourages drinking alcohol and is not a cure for alcoholism.

15. RTWodit

RTWodit Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +0
    Im just curious, how long does a typical Reconyx camera last ? I just bought my first one and am hoping to get some good time out of it. How long has everyone had their cameras?

16. RTWodit

Ratings:
    +0
    One of mine has been in the field 24/7 for about three months now. Thats as long as I have owned it. I just put out the other one out three weeks ago. So only time will tell.

17. RTWodit

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, this site is so great - lots of useful information, thankyou Hubby went for a reversal on Friday but it didnt work and we too are looking into insemination - we first have to find out if there are any sperm left though - he has 3 children, but ??? now

Sharon xx

18. WayIllus

WayIllus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0
    If its a popular topic, you only need about a week. Disney fills fast, as did Futurama

Average Id say at least 3 weeks

Obscure topics take even longer.

19. Chinamib

Chinamib Member

Ratings:
    +0

Wouldn't drinking tons of water flush the benzos out of your system and cause more withdrawal symptoms than by simply letting time pass and have the benzos slowly decrease in your system? I don't agree with the way you are doing it, but if you are doing it the way you are, I just thought that it might be easier on you if you dump the water.