1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food allergies

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by Carnold23, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Has anyone noticed how in the past few years it seems like food allergies are a lot more common then when we were kids, or before?
    When I was in school there would be one or two kids with allergies. Now it's like every other kid has allergies, and way more have serious allergies then ever before. Does anyone have any idea on why this could be?
    I think it has to do with the way we bubble wrap our kids these days. We are so careful with what they eat as babies, and everything has to be sanitized and perfectly clean. I understand it comes from a good place, but could it be effecting kids negatively?
    When my kids were babies once they were eating real food, they ate everything. Peanut butter, fish, strawberries and all the high allergy food. Only thing I didn't give them was honey. I washed their bottles in the sink when I did the dishes, I didn't run them through a sanitizer every day. Not everything had to be perfectly clean. My house is extremely clean, but I don't make sure everything is antibacterial and spotless like most moms I know. And my kids are fine, no allergies what so ever.

2. FrankieD

FrankieD Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yes, I've noticed that food allergies seem to be more prevalent. I tend to think the problem is more likely associated with modern chemicals and processing versus kids being too free from that or germs early on ... but I could of course be totally wrong. It's just that I feel that I know of enough examples where the households didn't seem particularly clean or where the parents were not sanitizing, yet food allergies prevailed. But my sampling data is too small to be sure. That being said, I would still go with something chemical going on with the food supply, given all the stories and exposures we've learned about in recent history. We know that some things, such as growth hormones being used on chickens, are different from when my parents were raising kids.

3. tlspiegel

tlspiegel Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Everyday there is something in the news about how a person ate something and had a bad reaction and died. I also believe it has to do with food processing and the chemicals used for the preservation of food.

Many years ago when I was a teenager, my boyfriend and I went to a restaurant we frequented a lot. We ordered 'the usual' which was a shrimp cocktail, steak, fries, a salad, and dessert. The dinner was delicious and we went to a movie after.

The next day I went to school and I started feeling itchy. I went to the nurse and by then my body was covered in welts and hives, and my ears swelled up, and it became hard to breathe. I ended up in the hospital with anaphylaxis. I was near death. Three days later, after a serious of blood tests and cortisone shots, I was released with the instructions to see a dermatologist.

My mom got an appointment for me and drove me to see the doctor. After an explanation on why I was there, the first question she asked me is "What did you eat the night before you had the bad reaction?" I told her and she advised me to never eat shellfish ever again. "But, I said... I always have a shrimp cocktail, I never had a problem before." She explained that a severe allergic reaction can occur the first time or the 30th time. Allergies just do that and they are serious. So, I have stayed away from shrimp, lobster, and any other kinds of shellfish. I never want to go through that experience again.

4. lexinon

lexinon Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +29
    I really haven't noticed a lot of changes with allergies. I don't know if this is because I myself do not have allergies, but I don't come across a lot of people that are allergic to certain things. Every once in a while someone will mention being allergic to random things, but it doesn't happen that often. I wonder if it is the area you live in that makes it seem like it's more common.

5. Linda Burroughs

Ratings:
    +15
    I've got severe food allergies myself and I don't think it had anything to do with my mom sterilizing or not sterilizing stuff. I was nursed for the first eight months and that is supposed to decrease the risk of food allergies, but in my case I guess it didn't. My daughter also has severe food allergies and we both suffer from other allergies as well. My best guess as to ours is an auto immune disorder. That is what has been suggested to us recently at least. I know in my case, a lot of what I am allergic to is highly processed meats and candy that contains egg white. It got a lot better when I got older too. I can take a whole lot more of some things I am allergic to before I will break out in hives. Peanut butter for example. I have to eat a lot of it or other stuff with peanut oil in it before I break out. I tend to agree that it has a lot to do with over-processing foods these days and also with chemicals in food. Food dye is a common allergen. So ya, I think if people are tending to be more food sensitive these days its because we are being introduced to so many things that aren't really good for us at an early age. And some of us are just more sensitive to some things than other people and now it is common to put it down to an allergy to it.

6. Carnold23

Carnold23 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I understand that there are lots of reasons why people have allergies, my reasoning about the sterilization is just what I have noticed in my area. There are a lot of helicopter parents around here, and I find that a lot of their children have allergies. Them being to overprotective may not be the reason why their children have allergies, it is just an idea I had.

7. MRSP

MRSP Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +31
    I used to have allergies when I was a kid. I was allergic to dust, even talcum powder was bad for me. When I'm exposed to it, I'd have rashes that looked like big clumps of landmass on a map, on my skin, so my mom was kind of over-protective. But now, I don't have it anymore. I don't know how I got rid of my allergies. It's like I've outgrown them. But I still don't use talcum powder. I guess I never had a liking for it because of the way skin reacted to it when I was a kid.

8. goldenmain

goldenmain Member

Ratings:
    +4
    When I was a kid, I had allergies from eating shrimps, crabs, shells, squid, lobster and other crustacean organisms and sea foods which are used as ingredients for dishes. When I consume these foods, my throat gets really itchy and my lips become red and puff up, right after a few minutes. I usually have a different dish when my family and I eat out or just dine at home, since they love eating sea foods. Eventually I overcame my allergies and I am now able to eat these foods freely and without having allergic reactions. My mother was the one who made me take anti-histamines, which are medicines that prevent allergic reactions. Before eating sea foods, I would take one tablet of it and I will not have any allergies anymore. Later on, I did not take the medicine anymore and was able to eat sea foods without allergies because my body got accustomed to the food.

9. HowdyDude

HowdyDude Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've noticed it within myself. I think it may be due to the high sugar content people are taking in. In my own case I have had moderate allergic reactions after eating anything sweet with substantial amount of sugar content.

10. XLS

XLS Member

Ratings:
    +7
    My personal opinion for the uproar in allergies is the excess of pollutants and "needed" vaccines. What ever happened to the body naturally healing it self? I am someone who has had allergies. Allergies come from things that our body cannot tolerate... can we agree that this can be a reaction from something as simple as a detergent or cleaner. Not only do they come from detergents or cleaners but from things in the environment such as excess gas emissions, mold, mildew, etc.

It is difficult to avoid some of these things because of the way society is built but I do think that we can be more proactive with our children in really paying more attention to the things they consume and the things in their environment.

11. sunshiney

sunshiney Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +156
    Something to keep in mind is that a lot of these allergies and food sensitivities may seem more prevalent simply because we're hearing about them more.

When I was a kid social media wasn't a thing and the internet was nowhere near what it is today. So while there were a few kids in my school that we knew had peanut allergies, no one was getting inundated with Facebook posts and Buzzfeed articles and blogs and Pinterest recipes for allergen free snacks and on and on...it was all still there, it's just that now anyone who wants to talk about it to a wider audience has a platform to do so.

I can't speculate on whether or not food allergies are more prevalent now than in the past, but our overall awareness is certainly higher.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  12. Readme@Amy

Readme@Amy Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +37
    I believe if you had food allergies it doesn't mean that you will not eat or you will stay away for life already from those foods that is causing your allergies. I remembered when I was still young I had an allergy to shrimp and crab. But my doctor had advised me that in order that my body will be immune with this foods I can eat little by little and that is what I did. And now that I am an adult already I may say somehow if I am eating shrimp and crab I am not having an allergy anymore and I think my body got immune already with this kind of foods.

13. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I personally have severe and life threatening allergies to all types of nuts, shellfish, and bananas. I also have seasonal allergies, and I'm allergic to strong detergents and perfumes (but those allergies are ok). In the first group of allergies that I mentioned when I've ingested any of those foods, I've had to be rushed to the hospital because I would swell up and my throat would start closing up. It's really, really bad. I've had those allergies since I was born and no amount of treatment has helped. Avoiding these things is what keeps me alive so to speak. In regards to other people, I think that maybe with clinical research studies, scientists have been able to uncover when other things are giving people allergies. Take eggs, soy and milk. 30 to 40 years ago we never heard of many people been allergic or intolerant to these common foods, now it's every other person. You can now easily go to the doctors office and tell him the last things you consumed and he'll easily tell you to stay away from certain things, or will prescribe allergy tests. I believe it's the knowledge that we now have that allows us to see these occurrences more often.

14. pennyheart

pennyheart Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +50
    My son has moderately bad atopic dermatitis back when he was a few months old. His skin was so bad, it flakes off and has rashes as well. It even gives off some fluid although it's clear. Thankfully, he is better now and hasn't been attacked by the skin allergy for a year now. I think back then, we only stayed at home, without any sunlight and I won't even let him sweat. I thought I was doing the right thing. Even his food intake was incredibly observed, only low risk allergy foods were given to him. He was found allergic to eggs, pineapples and meat so we didn't give him those.

But then we started going out for walks. I let him sweat so much under the sun and he finds that enjoyable as well. We spend mornings outside the house. Then I let him eat all kinds of fruits and vegetables even eggs! To this day, he is a healthy, strong and free from skin allergies kid. And I think that process has helped him to be rid of his allergies.

15. goodhealth

goodhealth Member

Ratings:
    +14
    To add to what XLS mentioned, in addition to vaccines changing the immune system of someone to make allergies a problem or worsen any existing ones, I strongly feel that genetically modified foods also contributes to this tremendously. They have taken parts of insects and genetic patterns from various species that were never meant to be recombined in different ways and have quietly added them to foods without labeling them. Everything from fruits to vegetables, especially corn, has had this done to it. Anything with soy has also had this done. It's become evident that it is affecting people tremendously, making some people sick, or even claiming their lives in extreme cases.

Between the vaccines and genetically modified chemical compositions that they are trying to call food in select places, allergies have increased exponentially among children and adults alike. The best way to avoid it and try to stay safe from it is to know what you are eating, and the conditions of things you consume.

16. shradha

shradha PR Founder

Ratings:
    +53
    #16 shradha, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    I have a friend who is allergic to peanuts and seafood. I never knew about it. One day during our school picnic she accidentally ate peanut and she started getting this fits. We were all so scared. She had to be taken to the hospital.

17. shradha

shradha PR Founder

Ratings:
    +53
    I remember my mom saying that her grandmother was so active even when she was 90 yrs. She was healthy. I guess it has to do with the food she had, less polluted air and water. Today kids have low immunity and often fall sick. It is all happing because our surroundings are so polluted and adultrated.

18. TwoOneBee

TwoOneBee Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +133
    There is no proof that vaccines are the cause for allergies, and a quick Google search will show you this. You can read this well documented and detailed study for yourself if you need more info. It's actually very thorough and well written article that concludes that the theory that vaccines might cause chronic allergic and/or autoimmune diseases has been tested in many excellent, well-controlled studies and there's just no evidence to support the hypothesis.

19. Armine

Armine Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have allergy to cow’s milk and egg and I avoid using them.

20. goodhealth

goodhealth Member

Ratings:
    +14
    There is plenty of proof. This is the very first search result that came up for vaccines causing allergies: http://therefusers.com/refusers-newsroom/vaccines-cause-allergies-dr-dave-mihalovic/

This was written by Dr. David Mihalovic.

From the article:

Vaccines Cause Allergies

Recent evidence indicates that routine childhood vaccinations contribute to the emergence of chronic allergic problems such as eczema, ear infections, and asthma. A growing number of scientists and physicians maintain that most standard vaccinations permanently disturb the developing immune system, setting the stage for hypersensitive reactions to foods and other common substances. In fact, childhood illnesses such as measles, mumps, and whooping cough may actually reduce the risk of allergy, says Konrad Kail, N.D.

Vaccines clog our lymphatic system and lymph nodes with large protein molecules which have not been adequately broken down by our digestive processes, since vaccines by pass digestion with injections. This is why vaccines are linked to allergies, because they contain large proteins which as circulating immune complexes (CICs) or “klinkers” which cause our body to become allergic.

-- end of excerpt.

The article you sent me that pretends it doesn't cause allergies is outdated pseudo-science from 2003. :p

21. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Not only kids, even the adults can be allergic to some food. Until recently, my wife loved meat product. She could eat meat for breakfast, meat for lunch, meat for snacks and meat for dinner. Now, she cannot even tolerate the smell of meat. We don't know what exactly happened to her, but we presume that she became allergic to meat because of her pregnancy.

22. Eleven

Eleven Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I've noticed the same thing. I would go so far as to say that it seems like there are a lot more sick people in general than there used to be. It doesn't seem like children go out to play as much as they did when I was a kid. We got a lot more exercise and ate a little bit healthier of a diet. The scary part is that the Pharmaceutical is making tons, and have no desire to see it get better!