1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Alternatives to "Bad" Foods

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by litebrite87, Aug 4, 2015.

1. litebrite87

litebrite87 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm not diabetic, but my father and nearly everyone on his side of the family have type-2 diabetes (and hypertension, and high cholesterol). Even though my dad is a medical professional and knows what he should avoid, his diet is terrible. I enjoy cooking grilled meat and steamed vegetables, but if he says that something "tastes healthy," it's his way of saying he knows he should like it, but he doesn't. Has anybody found an enjoyable alternative to their favorite carb-heavy foods? And what helped you transition to a better diet?

2. lerxst

lerxst Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm not diabetic either but I do have to keep an eye on my food intake as I'm prone to overeating at times. The way I deal with it is to eat healthily for most of the week but have one "bad" breakfast a week (usually a fry-up) as well as two lunches and dinners where I have whatever I like. I tried doing the five days on, two days off thing but just couldn't stick to it. This way is far more manageable.

3. shradha

shradha PR Founder

Ratings:
    +53
    Homemade food is always healthier. I make sure I use less oil. Our meal includes a lot of vegetables and fruits. As my hubby has diabetes, we try to avoide fried stuff and junk food. But once in a week we go out and eat whatever we feel.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Member

Ratings:
    +13
    It's difficult to change someone's mind once they have it made up about a certain subject. I'd pay attention to what he eats, which flavors and textures are his favorites, and then try to think of ways to incorporate those into his diet in healthier ways. Try to use as many of his favorites as you can, so he'll enjoy the flavors and whatever spiciness he likes, and might not even notice the absence of some of the dishes/items that are particularly bad for him.

I personally tend to try to use moderation, so I will eat things that are not so good for me, but I'll limit them, and try to sandwich them in between things that are extra healthy, to counteract their effects. I've found it helpful to search the internet using terms such as, 'healthy' 'copycat' 'alternative' to whatever it is I'm trying to avoid, or find a healthier substitute for, with reasonable success.

5. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +42
    For me, what seems to help me eat healthier, is to work at changing the foods that I enjoy, rather than trying to replace the ones that I like with a healthier version, although I also try to do that whenever I can.
    As an example, I found that I can use the sugar-free pudding mix, and add 2 cups of cottage cheese , as well as the milk that is used for preparation. I put the cottage cheese in the blender with the milk until it is smooth , and then I add in the pudding mix, because it will thicken up almost immediately.
    Pour it into a bowl and refrigerate overnight. Made with vanilla or lemon sugar-free pudding mix, this will pass for an almost-cheesecake dessert, and the cottage cheese adds extra protein, plus makes it go a lot further than just making the sugar-free pudding as directed.
    Sometimes, I think we are just hungry for a certain food, and when that happens, nothing else seems to satify the craving. In that case, then having that food, but limiting the amount , seems to work best for me.

6. AngrySam

AngrySam Member

Ratings:
    +12
    @litebrite87@litebrite87
    I used to be just like your pops.
    I ate red meat, refined fried carbs and sweets and that was about it.
    I always though I didn't like healthy food.
    At first it was a struggle to eat well, but you know what. I got used to it!
    It just took time, now I can eat a whole meal of just "healthy food."
    My Doctor told me that our bodies (and the bacteria in our gut) have a huge roll in this, it's 100% possible to "train" your body to like healthy foods!

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +22
    I think the way that you cook food can often make it a lot more healthy, so if you try to cook something in the oven instead of frying it, it's immediately a lot more healthy than it would have otherwise been. I try to keep things as natural as I can, too. In my opinion, if there are a lot of colours and preservatives in things, they're not going to be all that great for your body, however if you can eat them pretty much as they're grown, this is a much healthier option for you. So this can help as well, and it means that you're only putting what nature intended into your body rather than filling it with loads of rubbish.

8. Jessi

Jessi Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think for someone like him, one of the best options is actually portion control instead.

Go ahead and focus on the meats and vegetables, but also have a small side of pasta that he can feel like he's "indulging" in. If he always feels like he's depriving himself, he's less likely to end up enjoying any of those healthier alternatives at any point anyway.

9. Perch

Perch Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +37
    One thing to do might be to focus on interesting foods that are on his "permitted" list. It can help direct attention away from dwelling on the "not permitted" list. I am not all that familiar with diabetic food requirements but when I was on a calorie-controlled diet I had a similar complaint. But I replaced some of my "bad" favorites with new food interests.

For me this included gourmet coffees, hot sauces, and exotic fruits and vegetables from around the world. I would go to the Asian supermarket and fresh markets and look for anything I had not tried like dragon fruit or cactus and then Google for ways to prepare it. The results were a bit mixed but it was a lot of fun.

10. scarlett

scarlett Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with Jessi. We have a culture that says you are an adult and should be able to eat what you want, so most people do. It's not healthy, necessarily, but it's also difficult to get away from, and when you've lived that way for decades, it's not going to be an easy habit to break. Finding ways to avoid overeating (like not eating in front of the TV and planning snacks and using a smaller plate) is probably going to be much more effective.

11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Member

Ratings:
    +13
    scarlettscarlett has a very good point. I've been trying to change the way I eat for a while now, due to several health conditions. I keep seeing list after list of foods I should avoid. That can be good to know, but it immediately starts me thinking about what I'll be missing. I tend to look for lists or articles about which foods actually help with my conditions, rather than those I need to avoid, so I can stay focused in a more positive direction.

12. sunshiney

sunshiney Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +156
    I've been slowly switching my diet over to something a bit more healthy, and one thing I've really enjoyed is replacing a lot of pasta with zucchini or squash.
    I'm trying to avoid carbs and I love pasta and bread, so I make a deal with myself that I can have a slice of french bread if I replace my pasta with zucchini.
    I think it's all about balance because it can be really hard to stick to a diet if you feel completely deprived.
    Small changes are easier to stick to, especially in the beginning. Quinoa instead of rice is a good one, and you can cook it in low-sodium broth to give it more flavour. Greek yogurt with berries makes an awesome dessert or breakfast. Avocados can add a lot of richness to a dish and they're full of healthy fats.
    There are lots of options out there for healthier alternatives, these are a few things I've tried to far.

13. short.cake

short.cake Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +122

sunshineysunshiney , I try to make healthier choices too. I need to watch what I eat due to diabetes, plus I need to lose a significant amount of weight. It's a real struggle. But I'm slowly switching over.

I'm not a 'gadet-y' type, unless it's something I know will make my life easier. But, a few months ago I purchased a NuWave oven (from tv), and it has helped me make changes for sure. It takes awhile to get used to cooking with it, you have to tweak your recipes (there is a facebook group that tweaks and posts a lot of recipes, so that really helps me) . But I can cook skinless chicken, other then just breasts (which is what I always make) , and the fat will drip off. Or I can make my own 'coating', and after removing the skin, add the coating and make an 'air-fried' chicken without all of the fat. It's a simple way to cook potatoes, veggies, fish, etc without oil/fat...or bacon grease...lol. I like it, and I feel like I can have a 'no-no' food once in a while by making it a little healthier.

Other then that, I just make sure I'm stocked with fresh fruit and a lot of cold water, so it will help me not to snack on bad stuff. Especially in the afternoon, I'm so hungry around 3pm. This was a bad time, because it was when I would have a candy bar, pretzels, etc. Now I plan ahead with healthy snacks.

It will always be an ongoing battle for me.

14. sunshiney

sunshiney Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +156
    The NuWave sounds really cool!
    I've been trying to work on cutting down the amount of oil I use in my cooking so that's right up my alley. I feel like it's important to be able to have a treat once in awhile too, so having a way to make those treats a little healthier would be awesome.

15. Dorothy

Dorothy Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have to agree with you and Jessi on this one, because I am diabetic type 2 and I have had so much trouble trying to eat healthy. So I just started eating smaller portions and adding fruit and veggies to my meal so that I won't eat as much of what I shouldn't. It is a daily struggle. I am always open to try new recipes to try and eat better.

16. Thompson

Thompson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It can absolutely be eaten in a balanced and healthy diet. The most common unhealthy foods include highly processed items “such as fast foods and snack foods,” their foods tend to be low in nutrients and high on empty calories due to the content of, refined flours, sodium and sugar.”

17. RTWodit

RTWodit Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +0