1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you shave or wax your pubic hair?

Discussion in 'Sex & Sexual Health' started by BWE, Aug 6, 2013.

1. jbepp

jbepp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I keep it trimmed but I can't handle the irritation of a full shave.Waxing sounds painful to be honest and I don't really know if I'll like it, so I've never tried it. I try to keep it well trimmed, and I personally prefer that mt partner keeps it trimmed and well maintained as opposed to fully shaven or waxed.

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As a guy I don't shave my pubic hair, it hurts too much for me (especially the pubes on my penis, it's practically impossible to bear with the pain). Although I wax the hair on my legs, stomach and armpits I have to shave my pubic hair. It's the most convenient way, and after I trim it down to small portions I shave the rest off with a razor. It's the most practical.

3. Steph

Steph Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know many men who completely remove their pubic hair. Most trim theirs. I also trim my own. I would remove it if I could, but my skin is so sensitive that shaving and waxing aren't very effective. The last time I tried waxing, they seemed to take off more skin than hair. Shaving becomes way too irritating if I don't keep up with it every day.

4. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, but I wish they would come out with shaving equipment specifically for doing so, because standard hair clippers or beard trimmers don't work so well and I often wind up with more than a few bloody cuts and nicks in the process. Perhaps something with a better safeguard from coming into direct contact with the blades (with hair clippers and beard trimmers these often fall off easily mid shaving). Or maybe even better, come out with some equivalent to "Nair" which can be used down there without any irritation. For what it's worth, I tried Nair a couple times even though the packaging advises not to, and it didn't work so well and smelled horrible.

I find it way to uncomfortable to not be trimmed up down there, especially on hot days. Too much hair just creates more sweat and odors.

As for the stubble, I don't often shave completely bare for that very reason, I just use one of the lowest clipper settings for most of it. I only use the blades directly for trimming around the outer perimeter for a clean-cut look. Otherwise I would wind up with too many nicks or worse yet, ingrown hairs. When you are using blades or clippers to shave, and they snag on your hair - pulling it out a bit, that's what often leads to ingrown hairs because the cut hair follicle snaps back into the skin below the surface where it becomes ingrown.

5. nafretiti

nafretiti Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Shaving for me is only necessary when someone asks me to do it, my ex boyfriend asked me and I did it for him.Something new and exciting so that we both could enjoy the oral sex better, however the thing I do hate with that is its uneven sometimes and I never get it all because I can't see it to do so. I have thought of trying a mirror and then shaving. Other times I simply try to just trim it down so it doesn't get out of hand, it feels better and then it never gets pulled on especially when playing with specific toys by myself or with a partner, it is quite painful when its pulled!

I wonder if there is a hair removal cream that is safe on the pubic area, I haven't seen one just yet and stuff that someone used that I know of, well their pubic area was full of burns.

6. NYC001

NYC001 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am a woman and I do regularly trim and shave some areas but not all of it. Having some hair down there is essential in keeping things out of your vaginal area and serves as a protection. It is becoming more and more common for men to "manscape" down there as well. Waxing is supposed to be better for you in terms of ingrown hair and regrowth time, but it can be very costly and expensive.

7. Yosh

Yosh Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I used to shave it a lot when I was younger. I stopped when my partner told me she prefered it unshaven. However, I keep it neatly trimmed. It keeps the area cleaner and my partner happy.

8. harpazo22

harpazo22 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I rarely do shave anymore. I used to all the time, but now I don't very much at all. It's just natural to have it there. The only time I do is when I get sick of it, which isn't often.

9. FlyFish998

FlyFish998 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I've always shaved since I started getting hair down there (female). I actually looked it up online. I remember searching google "do women shave down there?". Looking back it is a bit comical.

Anyway, I do for a number of reasons and they are not all sexual. I started doing it because I WANTED to. I liked being smooth and clean. I thought it looked nice too.

I've just always liked the look and feeling of being smooth and once I became sexual I realized that men typically like it as well.

I've never waxed.

10. nailah783

nailah783 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My husband shaves his. I think that he thinks it makes it look bigger, and he thinks it helps with oral, but I can't stand that stubble when it starts to grow back. It's very uncomfortable for me, and it scratches me when we're in the act. It's like rug burn on my under parts. I personally believe in being natural, but groomed.

11. TwoOneBee

TwoOneBee Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +133
    Judging by this thread, you can tell who's given up and who's still trying to keep their junk clean and neat for their partner. ;) Don't be that partner who just doesn't care anymore, show a little passion!

All kidding aside, you can go either way as a man and it'll still be beneficial. You can either do the whole trimming thing, which clearly will make your package look enormous, or you can go the opposite: keep your hair nice and long, so that your partner has to go on a safari hunt for you genitals. It turns oral into a bit of a hunting game. Did I preface this paragraph with all kidding aside? Oops.

Okay a few things for those who are complaining about cuts and stuff. First of all, you should always, always, always shave in the shower. The hot water will ensure that you minimize skin irritation. If you're going to shave to the skin, use shaving foam, it'll protect you. Be very careful around the veins of your penis, as those are prone to nicks, so don't press down as hard with your razor as you would your face. Slow and gentle is the way to go. Don't rush!

If you're going to go with a trimmer, you can use a hair-clipper or hair trimmer, but don't go to the lowest setting. Your genitals aren't like your face. Use a trimmer for the bulk of it, and a razor for the shaft. Make sure you moisturize atferwards.

Also, OhioTom76OhioTom76 I can't believe that you used Nair. This is your manhood! Your life-force! It's not like toes or fingers where you have a few spares. Please, everyone who's reading this: don't Nair your genitals.

Finally, JoeJoe , I'm not sure that stimulating my girlfriend while I have a razor blade near her intimate area is the way to go. We usually wait until we're done before going at it... But to each their own, and if it works for you, all the best.

12. Linda Burroughs

Ratings:
    +15
    To shave, or not to shave, that is the question. Or is it? Is the bigger question how far will we go to follow trends? Years ago women wouldn't have dreamed of shaving or waxing off all their pubic hair because (back then) it would have only had an appeal for men who liked really young girls.

The only time that part of our bodies were hairless after the onset of puberty was when we had children. Well thankfully the practice of shaving women before they gave birth is long over, they didn't even do that anymore when I had my first child almost 30 years ago. (and note the word almost -- I don't want anyone trying to calculate my age) although it wouldn't hurt if they got rid of those bits of hair right by the vaginal opening becuase if you tear or have an episiotomy, chances are your going to get bits of pubic hair stuck there during the course of healing.

I always told my partner not to expect me to shave everything off because I felt that it was demeaning and made me feel like I was trying to compete with very young girls. Also I am into loving your body the way it is and of course, there is the problem of afterwards with the stubble and ingrown hairs (uck--painful and ugly combined).

So wasn't he surprised when one day after we had broken up for about four weeks. that I was suddenly hairless. We had met up to talk and one thing led to another and before you know it we are doing it off to the side of a park trail in the pouring rain and mud. It wasn't until he was going off on his way to where he was living at the time that he realized what was different about me. The poor guy, he was beside himself for days before he got the courage to ask me about it. It turns out that he though that I'd done it for someone special.

The actual truth of the matter is, one night while trimming things down to size in the bath, I went a little too far. I couldn't very well leave it all uneven and asymmetrical. so I took it all off. Since then I've done it a few times but I still keep coming back to the "just trimmed" look.

As for men doing it, please don't. I think it looks silly and besides, when it starts to grow back it scratches and leaves rug burn down there and on my face.

13. goldenmain

goldenmain Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I do wax or shave my pubic hair because it looks more clean and hygienic and my partner also thinks of it this way. I usually just shave but there are times that I also go to a waxing salon because it is more convenient and the end result is much more complete and there are no more little hairs left. Waxing is painful at first but once you do it a couple of times you get used to it. Shaving doesn't hurt but it takes a long time and is a little messy in the bathroom.

14. Carnold23

Carnold23 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I shave my pubic hair because I hate the way it feels having hair down there. My husband also prefers me to be shaved. I have gotten waxed before and I hated it. I don't mind my eyebrows or my legs waxed and do that often but when it comes to my private areas I would prefer to shave.

15. foolsgold

foolsgold Member

Ratings:
    +3
    My boyfriend trims his hair down there, though would sometimes shave it all off if I requested it. He says it's very itchy and he's tempted to scratch like crazy when they start to grow back :LOL: I personally like trimmed pubic hair as it's easier to do oral sex and clean up afterwards. For my own, I always trim and sometimes wax off the hair when he asks. I noticed it's harder to get wet when just recently trimmed. Does anyone else experience this?

16. FatAmy

FatAmy Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Before I moved, I came from a country where shaving down there isn't a big thing. When I got engaged, my fiance requested it, so I shaved it off. He doesn't, but I don't really mind.

For myself, I feel it's easier to clean when you shave down there. I would probably like to try waxing in the future but it just looks so painful :D

17. rcdpink

rcdpink Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Living in the tropics is gonna be an issue for sure. It is more humid and hot there and it can be quite annoying when In addition you have alot of pubic hair. I think it is quite in order to shave it all out based on the fact that in a relationship normally the female spouse doesn't like when there is a lot of pubic hair left in the bath tub after shower. I think you get the point.

18. sniperwolf

sniperwolf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do it sometimes, I shave it all using scissors and shaver, doing it very very gently, it does itch a little afterwards but it feels great down there having a pubic hair cut.
    It feels and looks tidy, my gf likes it too, I must say I feel more sexually aroused after cutting it.
    Most of the times, I just trim it, although I prefer to cut it all out since it itches less.

19. lexinon

lexinon Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +29
    If I'm being completely honest, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to maintaining my area. I prefer to have it shaved or waxed, but most of the time I'm just too lazy too fight through the chaos. I also hate what comes with shaving. The razor bumps are not the most pleasant thing to deal with.

20. Sparkster

Sparkster Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +23
    As a man, no I can't say I ever have. I have found myself laughing at this though because it reminded me of a friend who came over our house a few years ago and he kept scratching down there. We teased him about it saying "got crabs have you?" and he said no, it wasn't that, it was because he had decided to shave down there. Haha.

21. Tmaxwell

Tmaxwell Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I personally can't STAND Punic hair. A little fuz on a guy is ok, but a woman.. no No NOOO. Me and my husband both shave it all off. Bald as a baby butt. Lol. To me Pubic hair makes an odor down there. Especially when a woman is on her menstural cycle. Plus, who would want to go down on a fuzzy Wolfy kitty kat? Lol. Or a Fuzzy Hairy Penis.

22. Shen

Shen Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +16
    Well I prefer to shave only because waxing is so painful. It only itches once in awhile though. My boyfriend tends to shave his too even more than how I shave mine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted