1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can chlamydia lay dormant? And for how long?

Discussion in 'Sex & Sexual Health' started by giselle, Mar 15, 2017.

1. giselle

giselle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone. I am just back from the gynac’s office and I am still in shock. I do not know how to process this information and what should my next step be. My gynac told me that the results of the last Pap test which presented bacteria could actually be chlamydia. He also did a STD kit test for me. I was still digesting the information and there were a couple of more pressing issues, so I never got the chance to ask him, but this thing has been troubling me ever since. I am a 35 year old woman and I have been married to my husband since the last 15 years. For the last 18 years, the only person that I have had sex with is my husband. But what about him? It feels terrible that I am judging him and having doubts. Is it possible that we have been faithful to one another and this just happened to us out of nowhere? I mean, that is a possibility, right? Surely, I can’t be the only one to have this problem.

2. debra99

debra99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, to be honest I don’t know you or your husband. It might have been easier to judge if I did, but then again, I don’t believe it is up to me to judge any other individual. Please understand that I am trying to say this in a tone as non-judgemental as possible and I don’t want to come off as mean. I believe that your husband has been cheating behind your back. I say that because chlamydia is a bacteria. If it was a virus, I could have accepted the staying dormant logic, but unfortunately that doesn’t apply for bacteria. Also, chlamydia just doesn’t “happen” out of nowhere. It requires action before it to trigger.

3. kitten7

kitten7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, many many hugs. I am hating every word that I am having to type out, and just for your sake, I truly wish that I am wrong in my belief; but here is what I feel – your husband must have got it recently and given it to you. You say that you have been married for 15 years. So if he would have had it from before then, then surely he would’ve passed it on to you earlier and you would have without doubt ended up with some complications for having had it for so long. Yes, I am talking about pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).

Also, as the poster above me said, it isn’t something that just happens. You have to have caught it from someone. However, I will suggest that you speak to your doctor in detail about it once more. Best wishes.

4. rudy

rudy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No… just no! Both of you are wrong and are just making her more upset. I was diagnosed with chlamydia a few weeks ago. I have been married for the last 12 years and my husband has been the only man that I have had sex with since the last 14 years (he was then my boyfriend). After our three kids, we have been consciously using condoms since the last 4 years, and I can confidently say that none of us have been unfaithful.

When I spoke to my doctor, she told me that chlamydia can lay dormant for many years, even decades together. In my case, it is from a one night stand from 15 years ago, much before I had met my now husband. I was dead drunk and we were on our way back from a concert. It was a big group of people. One mistake and I was seeing the effects 15 years later. To say that I am shocked will be an understatement.

5. kitten7

kitten7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Really? This is some incredible information to process. But thank you for bringing in a new perspective and I am hoping the OP will find much relief through your post.

6. rudy

rudy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I should actually thank you for taking it in the right light and not misunderstanding what I said. Being diagnosed with chlamydia isn’t easy. This is the kind of thing that wreaks havoc on marriages, if not breaking them completely.

7. ellis

ellis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am not too sure that chlamydia is the kind of disease that can lay hidden for 18 years. It is just impossible that a woman gets regular pap tests and isn’t aware that she has chlamydia. Sorry, it is just beyond my belief. I mean the kind of havoc that it wrecks on your cervix, there is no way in heaven or hell that an abnormality would not have shown up in the Pap test.

I hate to be the one saying this, but I think it is time that you think long and hard about the fidelity aspect. Yes, it may be possible that the chlamydia lay dormant that long without showing any symptoms. It is incredible, but maybe possible. But in no way is it possible that it never showed up on the pap for so long. To put it in blunt words, there is very little chance that you got this before 18 years and have been able to see it lay dormant without having any serious complications or without it getting detected. If you have been seeing your doctor since the last 15 years for the pap, chances are that they would have seen something wrong much before now.

Sorry that you are having to go through all this.

8. giselle

giselle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I guess that the only thing that I can do right now is wait for the test results, talk to my doctor, and have the long, unwanted, and awkward discussion with my husband. But I have to tell you this, that the very thought of him having cheated is breaking me into pieces. We have always trusted each other and he IS a good man, ya’ll. He doesn’t drink, doesn’t do drugs, his idea of a fun night is spending it with his family. He is gem of a guy. Any time he isn’t working or isn’t visiting his family, he is spending with us. I mean, the red flags of infidelity are just not present in our relationship.

At this point, I am praying that the test comes back negative. The doctor did tell me that some bacteria can mimic chlamydia, and I seriously hope that it is that.

9. ellis

ellis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You are right on that one Giselle, some BV do mimic chlamydia very closely. I was told after my pap that I have some sort of bacterial, so imagine my shock when I got a phone call that it may actually be chlamydia. And they said it so casually! So, yes, while they do mimic each other, you cannot possibly have both. You can have either one of them. However, unlike chlamydia, it is possible to get BV even when your partner hasn’t been unfaithful. Sometimes, our vajayjays are the breeding ground for bacteria for some strange reason. But I do hope that your results come back negative. Chlamydia is not fun. I was diagnosed way back in summer of 2005 (way too much fun got me I guess) and was fully cured by Christmas that year. But today, more than a decade later, I still have to see my doctor every 3 months, because the chlamydia screwed up my cervix big time.

Also, I am sorry if you felt that I am accusing your husband of cheating. I feel that we as women have a certain “hunch” or “gut feeling”, so we almost always know when our partners are cheating. Many may not want to accept it upfront, but we definitely know it in our heart of hearts. Intuition is brutal. So all the best while you wait for the results, but my only advice is that do not ignore your intuition. It will speak the truth to you.

10. supercharged

supercharged Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am with Ellis on this one. You are so lucky to have gone on for a year with chlamydia and have not developed PID. Most people cannot even boast of having done that for a couple of months. I have worked with a couple of gynaecologists, so I know that while they will not lie to you, they do usually try to avoid issues relating to fidelity and morality. This is majorly done because for a doctor, it is impossible to find out who exactly cheated, and so they are very careful not to point fingers in either direction. Any word can be misinterpreted and taken in a different way, especially because this is such a delicate issue.

So in case chlamydia is detected, doctors have to be cautious about how and what is to be said. In most cases, the general statement is – the disease is sexually transmitted and both you and your partner will need treatment.

However, I will not worry about it just yet. The reason is that paps can say a variety of things like high quantity bacteria, evidence of cervical inflammation etc., but none of that is conclusive without specific tests. This could be chlamydia, but this could also just be a really bad bacterial infection. But you will not know it until the specific swab is done. The bottom-line is that if you are confident that your husband hasn’t been cheating and if you yourself have stayed faithful to him, then you should have nothing to worry about.

Good luck.

11. giselle

giselle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all once again. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

12. rudy

rudy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I must be the odd one out. As I said earlier, my husband and I have been religiously using condoms since the last 4 years. So unless I have been cheating (which I obviously haven’t), it means that I have had it for the past 4 years at least. I also tried Googling but I didn’t find any noteworthy information about the time limit of chlamydia. The only thing that I saw most people talk about is that they went to the doctor after they started having symptoms.

It has been 5 years since I have had a Pap smear. Ellis, you mentioned that it created havoc for your cervix. Do you mind sharing a few details?

13. ellis

ellis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rudy. I guess I will have to rephrase myself so that others can understand it better. What I meant to say is that if you have been getting regular paps, there is no way that it will not have showed up. Why haven’t you had a pap in 5 years? Also, if you had had one before 5 years, it would have showed up then if you had it then.

Anyways, for me, my paps have been coming ‘abnormal’ since the time I have chlamydia. In May 2005, my pap came back abnormal with infection present. I had a colonoscopy in August and same as the pap, it showed abnormalities with ASCUS area on my cervix. The November 2005 pap threw me in a loop because it showed low grade lesion, but I was under the impression that I was getting better! Paps February and July 2006 both showed no infection. But when I got a colonoscopy done, it again showed a small abnormality just like the year before. The doctor recommended a HPV which came back negative.

The only possible explanation that the doctors could offer was that the chlamydia that I had had had messed up my system by leaving behind a form of abnormal cells in my cervix.

ASCUS, if left untreated, usually goes away on its own and that is what we have been trying to do for the past year. But a very small percentage of them, like mine, lead into precancerous cells. But then again, this is the whole point of a pap test – to get hold of the issue BEFORE it gives rise to the precancerous cells stage. My doctors feel that I am at a low risk, mainly because my condition hasn’t changed at all in the past year. Maybe nothing for the better, but nothing for the worse either. But he doesn’t want to leave anything to chance. He wants to start discussing treatment options already. We have cryotherapy on my cervix in mind, but I am delaying it because I want to get pregnant as soon as possible. And though the cryotherapy will not harm, I am not willing to take that chance with my cervix.

I wasn’t as lucky as you, because my chlamydia happened because of a douchcanoe. One night of frolicking and frivolous drinking landed me up with this. So needless to say, it makes me very angry. Thankfully, I am now married to a very nice man who accepts me for who I am and we look forward to having a great future together.

Hope this helps.

14. giselle

giselle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am with you Rudy, because of 2 reasons. I have been with my husband since the last 18 years and in all these years, I have never been unfaithful to him. And 2ndly, my only other relationship was before my husband, means almost 19 years ago! We had sex only once and that too the guy was wearing a condom. It isn’t possible for that to manifest into this, so many years down the line, right? I too have searched online and there is so much of similar stuff but just nothing different. Can’t someone make a website or something with all the medical info!

15. ellis

ellis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Giselle, do you have the test results back? What did the doctor say? Did he confirm the chlamydia or did he at least have someone from his office call to tell you that it was a bacterial infection?

I will tell you this, please try to be calm. Recalling my own time; I felt so dirty, used, and ashamed. It was one of the darkest phases of my life. It took me a long while before I could trust men again. It wasn’t a fun place to be.

Web MD has some useful information as well as these boards where the experience of the other posters gave me not just knowledge and information, but also a whole lot of courage. I wish I had more information so that I could help you more, but I am sort that I don’t.

However, the bottom line is that you are going to be okay. And what is all that matters. Try to relax until you know what it is exactly that you have. If you feel too anxious, call the doc’s office and ask if they have your labs yet. Remember that you are strong and that you are not alone. Many many hugs to you and here’s hoping for your sake that it is just a nasty case of some bacterial infection that just decided to give you a bad scare. Have faith in God and all shall be well. I will be looking forward to your update, and in the meanwhile, I shall be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted