1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Kinder Joy Surprise Eggs safe for kids?

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by shradha, Oct 7, 2015.

1. shradha

shradha PR Founder

Ratings:
    +53
    If you child is small be careful not to leave them alone while opening the surprise egg. The toys found inside are small and can be swallowed by small kids. Whenever we hit the grocery stores, all my son does is run to the chocolate section and head towards Kinder Joy. He loves opening the egg shaped chocolate and looks forward to get his toy. Not only is he crazy but he makes us also crazy. I wish I could get my hands on the person who started this. This is a good strategy to woo kids.

2. Medic

Medic Administrator

Ratings:
    +49
    Kinder joy surprise eggs are banned in the US, aren't they?

For the record, the US regulation doesn't allow placing a 'non-food' object inside food if it is not visible from the outside.

But there are other products available that copy the Kinder Surprise egg but evades the US regulation: the capsule containing the surprise is just about partially visible between the two chocolate halves. Clever or what!

According to wikipedia there have been only 3 documented casualities in 40 years.
    I think the capsule holding the toy is pretty large and the toy itself isn't something that can be swallowed, should be pretty safe for kids around 3 years of age.

3. shradha

shradha PR Founder

Ratings:
    +53
    Yes there is a fine of $2.500 per egg. Chocolates with embedded non-nutritive objects are banned in US since 1938. There is concern over choking.

4. rodney

rodney Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You talking about these, right?

are-kinder-joy-surprise-eggs-safe.jpg

Stupid law! Few years back, they were seized from my baggage by customs, like it were some drugs or something. How anyone can swallow that is beyond me.

5. Susan

Susan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I see nothing wrong with these eggs at all. My kids collected them when they were little. They loved the things and now my grandchildren enjoy them. As long as you are not giving them to a very young child who would put them in their mouth then it isn't a problem. I think it is foolish to ban them!!

6. Perch

Perch Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +37
    I love those things. They are not just for kids. Since I moved to the US have missed them! Of course a kids small enough to choke on small parts would need to be supervised.

7. sunshiney

sunshiney Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +156
    I don't have kids, but I remember when I was a kid I loved getting these. My cousins and I used to be given them as treats when we were young. I can see some of the toys being choking hazards though, and when we got them as kids we were still well past the stage of putting toys in our mouth. I guess it depends on the age of the child and how prone they are to sticking things in their mouth.

Banning them seems a little extreme. There are all sorts of toys out there that could potentially be choking hazards, but I think they're generally sold with the expectation of proper supervision. I don't see why it can't be the same for Kinder Eggs.

8. nytegeek

nytegeek Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +82
    I have small children. I support US law on the matter. These aren't appropriate for any child under 3. People of all ages do stupid things and I suppose an adult has the right to be stupid, but children under 3 don't swallow things that aren't food out of stupidity, they just don't know any better. Protecting children from adults stupid enough to give a child under 3 an unsafe toy isn't a bad thing. Maybe they shouldn't be out right banned for everyone but it is more effective than trying to prevent it by age group.

9. TwoOneBee

TwoOneBee Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +133
    True, a 3 year old doesn't know better which is why they should eat and play with a Kinder egg under supervision. By this rational, should we ban everything that's smaller than a child's mouth? Of course not. A kid can swallow a metal toy car and die, or a rock, or drown in a bowl of soup but we aren't banning those. There have been 3 or 4 documented death in 40 years out of thousands upon thousands of eggs. The picture above is also not representative of how they are now: the "egg" doesn't actually separate any longer and instead it is one big piece, making it even harder to swallow. I'm not saying we should just hand a chocolate egg to a child and walk away, but as a parent you can break it open for your child, give them the chocolate and help them with the toy. If the toy isn't suitable for them, you don't give it to them.

Kinder eggs under adult supervision are a great toy and a lot of fun. My nephew has been playing with them since he was very young and there's never been an issue since we would open it with him at the dinner table and supervise him playing with his toy.

10. Perch

Perch Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +37
    The world is full of things that are too dangerous to leave three-years-olds alone with, from long pieces of string to shotguns. I don't see why that means I should be banned from buying them or importing them into the country for my own use.

11. 111kg

111kg Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +35
    I work a lot with kids and I've never seen any of them EATING they toys. I don't know, but frankly, I think that the law the above posters are speaking was made to prevent lawsuits rather than accidents. There are a lot of crazy people who would make their children ingest small parts of these toys just to get to trial and "earn" some easy money. But even the dumbest children know that you're not supposed to eat plastic.

12. Cinna

Cinna Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +15
    These things rock. I have a friend who sneaks the, into the U.S. for his (grown) daughter as a family tradition. I think it's stupid that these are banned in the U.S. Simply don't give them to very young children. A child by age 4 or 5 is old enough to understand to break the egg open to get the toy out before eating the chocolate.

13. FatAmy

FatAmy Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Ew, I didn't know these are banned in the US. I wish I splurged on them before I went into this country!

But seriously, wow, it feels like we're treating parents as babies, not trusting them to supervise their kids. It might be unlikely but I am imagining parents of the future who are protected from making the decision to supervise what their kids, do stupid stuff just because they haven't encountered the things they are protected from like these eggs lol.

14. morgoodie

morgoodie Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +23
    I do not see anything wrong with these eggs and cannot imagine how a child is going to bite into the egg and swallow a toy such as the one in the picture. Children should me supervised when they are small especially when they are eating something. They can choke on anything so you always have to be vigilant. I know that it is possible to for a child to swallow a toy car since I seen a show that a boy had swallowed a matchbox car and they showed it on the xray but they can be taught not to put things in their mouths. The child was over 3 years of age too. It is a sad state when laws have to be in place to protect children from inattentive adults.

15. nytegeek

nytegeek Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +82
    More dead topic revival? The best way to keep a small child from choking on a small toy is to not give it to them to begin with. Encasing toys in food seems like a bad idea anyway. It gives kids the wrong message for sure. Of course I don't even like toys being included with kids meals either. Feeding them junk is bad enough but combining it with a toy is worse.

16. cottontail

cottontail Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I personally love Kinder Joy! Well not because of the surprise toy but because of the chocolate. My nieces and nephews are as well going crazy with Kinder Joy eggs and I can't see anything wrong with that. I think it's safe to eat and seeing the toys inside, I can't really imagine how anyone would accidentally swallow it in light of the fact that it's big enough for a kid to know that it's not a part of the chocolate anymore, just saying though

17. wellness

wellness Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +23
    Totally agree with your points. They are just trying to tempt kids to buy these products exploiting their level of anxiety. Kids are eager to know what is inside. Moreover, as already pointed out there are very tiny parts in these toys which need to be reassembled after opening the egg. It is a common tendency for kids to keep it in their mouth and quite accidently they may end up swallowing it. But it is widely available in developing countries and there is no supervision on these products. I usually avoid these products. If my kid forces me to buy it I would go for a good chocolate and buy a safe toy separately.

I am also doubtful on the quality of gel being used with chocolates. No idea what preservatives they might be using with it. These types of products must be discouraged at any cost.

18. AlexanderI

AlexanderI Rookie

Ratings:
    +0