1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Any side effects when you take Statins?

Discussion in 'Online Pharmacy Reviews & Drugs Discussion' started by CD Salvo, Aug 17, 2015.

?
  1. I Don't Take Statins

60.0%
  2. No Side Effects

40.0%
  3. Nausea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kidney/Bladder Problems

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Muscle Pain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sexual Problems

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CD Salvo

CD Salvo Rookie

Ratings:
    +1
    It's been two years since my doc prescribed statins to me: first, Lipitor (Atorvastatin) 20mg/day, and after a year, Simvastatin with the same dosage. I had no trouble with this since my doc recommended it; plus, everyone I know is taking statins anyway.

A few days ago, however, I stumbled upon a news article warning of the drug's side effects. I researched some more on the web and found out there were studies about statins causing muscle pain, liver damage, headache, etc. Well, I do encounter chronic pain in my biceps/triceps every once in a while, but it could be from overfatigue.

Any thoughts on this? Any alternatives for lowering cholesterol you can suggest? Pls share!

2. tlspiegel

tlspiegel Member

Ratings:
    +7
  3. nytegeek

nytegeek Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +82
    Statins require monitoring of blood work for liver enzyme levels. They can be really hard on the liver. I can't even take them because of it. There are safer drugs like Welchol for reducing cholesterol but they are expensive and some insurance providers wont pay for them.

4. toradrake

toradrake Member

Ratings:
    +6
    There was a short time when a doctor put me on a Statin. It began with an A, I can't remember the name. I had no effects from it that I could recall, but I was on so many meds at that time, there may have been some effects and I thought is was something else causing it.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlands Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +22
    I was lucky enough never to have any side effects, however my partner suffered severe nausea when on these to the point where they had to lower his dose and build it up very gradually while his body got used to it. It has worked for him now, though, and as long as he makes sure he's eaten food, he is fine when he takes them, but it certainly hasn't always been this way unfortunately. The good thing is that his sugars are much better regulated now he is on them properly, so it has been more than worth it in the long term.

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +37
    I am not saying this is true but 2 doctors have told me that statin has side effects like premature aging. Some 2 months ago, I was prescribed Zimbastatin for my high cholesterol level. The internist said that it shall be my maintenance to mean I have to take a tablet everyday. When I got a second opionion, the doctor said that statin may harm my liver so I stopped. But the internist has emphasized that I may suffer a heart attack if I stop taking statin.

For now, I am taking it easy and being on a diet more of vegetable and fish to lower my cholesterol level naturally. With statin as maintenance medication, I'm still asking for a 4th opinion and maybe 5th opinion.

7. wellness

wellness Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +23
    My brother has been using Statin based medication for the past one year or so. But I am quite confused about any side effects as he is also taking medicines for Parkinson’s disease daily. Sometimes he is feeling difficulty in moving and also from an uncontrollably shivering head. But it could be the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease I guess. Doctor advised him to take medicines for Parkinson’s disease at the right time. Timing is very important for this particular disease. Missing medicines even for a single time can worsen the situation.

So I can’t say if these symptoms are being caused by Statin or not.

8. moondebi

moondebi Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Two years back, my Physician prescribed me statins after a blood test which showed a cholesterol level sightly in the higher side. For first couple of months it showed no apparent side effects. But, after that my hair started falling rapidly along with an unusual loss of body weight. The medication was immediately reduced to half of the earlier dose. The symptoms though got lessened, but it did not subside. Finally, it was needed to stop the medicine and I was put on a diet check.
    However, statins may or may not have a side effect, but that is way too small a reason to undermine its necessity.

9. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +42
    As so soften happens, when the drug companies are making a lot of money on a drug, any reports that the drug is dangerous to people's health often go unnoticed, or ignored altogether. There are a lot of tests that have shown statins to be bad for your health, plus a lot of painful and dangerous side effects. However, this is one of the most prescribed drugs, and it continues to be given to people by their doctors, in spite of the test results showing the dangers, which can include muscle pains, and even heart failure, and dementia. So, we are looking at some serious side effects from statin drugs, and something that is important for people to do their research about before making the decision to take these drugs.
    Since I already have heart failure, I would never even consider taking a statin drug, under any circumstances. Cholesterol is also important for our body, and especially for the brain, which uses about 25% of the cholesterol our bodies make, all by itself. This is one of the main reasons why statin drugs often lead to memory loss as well as dementia.
    Here is what Dr. Mercola says about statin drugs.

Why You May Be Better Off Ignoring Statin Guidelines

10. Benoit W

Benoit W Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thеrе аrе sаfеty issuеs with Stаtins.
    Thе prоblеms is thаt thе risks оn thе lаbеl аrе оftеn ignоrеd by prеsсribеrs in thе nаmе оf PRеVеNTIоN еvеn аftеr thе pаtiеnt rеpоrts prоblеms.
    I suffеrеd а сrippling аDR (аdvеrsе Drug Rеасtiоn) frоm Stаtins fоr 5 yеаrs bесаusе multiplе physiсiаns rеfusеd tо bеliеvе thаt my mаssivе bоdy-widе myоpаthy wаs Stаtin induсеd - thеy саllеd it Fibrоmyаlgiа аnd tоld mе I wаs "dеprеssеd"

11. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Junior Researcher

Ratings:
    +42
    It seems like fibromyalgia is kind of the "catch-all" for anything that the doctors aren't sure about, and that causes you to be in pain. Since statin drugs are one of the most prescribed drugs ever, it totally makes sense to me that statins would be the underlying cause for much of what is called fibromyalgia .
    Treating with depression medication also seems to be prevalent, regardless of the cause of what is wrong with you. After I was in a bad car accident, and had a head concussion and memory loss from that, what the doctor wanted to do was give me anti-depressants. I was telling him that I wasn't depressed at all, I just could not think straight after the accident, and it seemed to me that drugging me up with an anti-depressant would only make my thinking fuzzier. I refused the medication; but later learned that he had put down in my file that I was refusing treatment ! ! It was not that I was refusing to be treated, I just didn't want to be medicated for something that I didn't have wrong, and that would have made the memory and brain-function problems even worse.

12. RoseM

RoseM Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I would not advice anybody to stop taking their meds without talking to their dr. This is a forum and the members aren't qualified to give medical advice.

Someone very close to me stopped statins after reading on some other forum people telling him he should stop. Well, he had a heart attack and now is disabled. It's been a tough couple years of physical therapy and he's still not able to do many things he did prior.

Statins do have side effects but not everyone has them. They also help your body reabsorb the cholesterol that has built plaque on the walls of your arteries.

Again...talk with a real dr first.

13. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I еndurеd sеvеrаl yеаrs оf intеnsе bоdy pаin in my hips аnd shоuldеrs аnd nесk аnd lеgs. It wаsn't until а phаrmасist tоld mе thаt my pаin might bе саusеd by thе stаtin mеdiсаtiоn I wаs оn thаt I bеgаn tо suspесt it. I аskеd my dосtоr if hе wаs аwаrе оf bоdy pаin bеing а sidе еffесt оf stаtins аnd hе асtеd surprisеd аnd sаid hе hаd nо knоwlеdgе оf it. I tооk mysеlf оff thе stаtins аnd tоld my dосtоr I wоuld rаthеr diе thаn tо соntinuе living likе thаt. оvеr sеvеrаl mоnths thе pаin disаppеаrеd аnd I аm nоw соmplеtеly pаin frее. соuld it bе thаt big Phаrmа is fееding us stаtins sо thаt thеy саn sеll us mоrе pаin mеdiсаtiоn? оvеr thе соursе оf my lifе I hаvе bесоmе mоrе аnd mоrе сyniсаl аnd suspiсiоus, аnd I hаvе аlsо bесоmе а bоrn аgаin bеliеvеr in соnspirасiеs. Rеmеmbеr, just bесаusе yоur nоt pаrаnоid, it dоеsn't mеаn thеy аrе nоt оut tо gеt yоu.