1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Hey! Signup here! to join our community and participate in health & medical research oriented discussions.

If you are already a member please login here.

Diabetes Prevalence - A Statistics Report

Diabetes has become a common condition. One that affects the lives of millions worldwide. The International Diabetes Federation estimates that...
By PR Admin, Aug 4, 2015 | |
  1. Diabetes has become a common condition. One that affects the lives of millions worldwide. The International Diabetes Federation estimates that there are as many as 387 million Type 2 diabetic people in the world and that is not counting atleast half that number who are probably in the undiagnosed stage.

    General Statistic
    It is now common knowledge 6 out of every 100 people in the UK have diabetes. According to UK's National Diabetes Audit, there are 700 new diabetes diagnosis made every day. That means by the time you finish reading this article, a dozen people in the UK have probably got news of their diagnosis.
    CountryPrevalence %Affected Population
    England6.2%~2.8 million
    Northern Ireland5.3%~82,000
    Scotland5.9%~260,000
    Wales6.9%~178,000
    Source: UK Quality and outcomes framework (QOF) 2012/13

    Age distribution
    Based on the report of the National Diabetes Audit (NDA) in England and Wales and the Scottish Diabetes Survey[1] the following stat is apparent. As expected, the condition is mostly seen in the age group 40-70.

    AgeEngland & WalesScotland
    0 to 90.21%0.25%
    10 to 190.94%1.18%
    20 to 291.69%2.06%
    30 to 393.76%3.53%
    40 to 4910.67%9.5%
    50 to 5919.3%19.09%
    60 to 6926.20%26.46%
    Gender distribution
    Surveys indicate that men have a greater propensity to diabetes - In the UK, 56% of all diabetics are men and remaining 44% are women[2].

    men-vs-women-diabetics.gif

    Type 1 vs Type 2
    Type 2 is the more common of the two by a long margin. In general, 90% of adult diabetics are Type 2 and only 10% are type 1.

    type1-vs-type2-diabetes-prevalence.gif
    However in young people below 19, the reverse is true - Type 1 diabetes accounts for about 95% of the diagnosed cases. Children with diabetes exhibit distinct lack of beta cells which makes the body incapable of producing insulin - a marked feature of Type 1. Within that age group Type 2 is very rare indeed.

    The prevalence of Type 1 diabetes in children below 15 years of age is 187.7 cases per 100,000. Its rare, but not THAT rare.

    World Statistic [3]
    Around 387 million people the world over are estimated to have diabetes. This number is expected to rise to half a billion in the next 20 years. The disease seems to affect the lower income countries more.

    world-diabetes-statistic.jpg

    One out of 2 people don't even know they have diabetes. Majority of people living with diabetes are those who are between 40 and 60 years of age.

    world-diabetes-prevalence-statistic.jpg

    It is estimated that close to 50% of people are living with undiagnosed diabetes. Every 7 seconds a person dies from diabetes and the global health expenditure in 2014 to treat diabetes is estimated to be a whopping 612 billion dollars. In 2013 over 79,000 children were diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.
    diabetes-statistic-expenditure-mortality.jpg

    The prevalence rate of Juvenile Type 1 diabetes is highest in Europe. The highest occurrence of diabetes is seen in the western pacific region (China, Japan, Australia, Vietnam and others)

    Below is a table showing the top 10 countries with the highest number of diagnosed diabetes cases.

    CountryDiabetes cases (20-79)
    China 96.29 million
    India 66.85 million
    United States of America 25.80 million
    Brazil 11.62 million
    Indonesia 9.12 million
    Mexico 9.02 million
    Egypt 7.59 million
    Germany 7.28 million
    Turkey 7.22 million
    Japan 7.21 million

    Share This Article

    biege likes this.